My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I had to replace my key switch on my gravely 12G rider.
After I replaced the switch the engine would never shut off. I checked to make sure I bought the right switch. I can only find two wires coming out from under the flywheel. A charge wire and what I thought was the kill wire. Grounding what I thought was the kill wire does nothing. I have been pulling the spark plug wire to shut it down. I'm thinking my kill wire is broken. Any thoughts? I did not take the time to pull the shroud off to follow the wires.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If I remember correctly, the 12G has an induction ignition module on it. As a magnet on the flywheel goes past it generates a spark.
I think to kill the machine that just gets grounded out. Does one of the wires to there?

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Yes only two wires coming off the Magnum, charging and magneto (kill/short to ground). You can disconnect them at the harness and use an ohmmeter to see if the wire to the magneto is grounded with the ignition switch in the "off" position. If that tests out OK then you've got a break between the harness and the magneto.

(The grounding circuit also relies on a relay under the dash, if that got fried it could also explain the malfunction)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts