My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well decide flush old hydraulic oil. I don't remember where it was.

Do I need use specify shell rotalliea 15w40 or it can be different brand 15w40?

Does it have filter in hydraulic system?

How I get all old oil out? use air pressure blow in tank would work or not?

It leak lot but couldn't find where leak came from but I think it could be engine leak oil but will clean real good then watch where leak came from.

How many gals it use oil? 2 gals or more?

Thank

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Dan don't blow air in the tank.

Remove the deck if you have one installed and put a pan underneath, remove small allen plug on the travel control valve. Then pull the spark plug wires off and you can even pull the plugs out if you wish. then crank it over until the oil stops having a good steam coming out.

Put the plug back in and use 15W40 Shell Rotella T.

I don't think your tractor will have a filter. I don't recall how many quarts it will take, I believe close to 6 qts, however, I would buy 3 gal. as its good to have some extra handy.

Also if you don't have the books for your tractor you need to get them, you can get an owners manual from bhildret on this forum as he is a dealer and you can down load the parts book from www.ingersolltractors.com free using your pin # to get the right one.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Any good quality 15W40 diesel motor oil will do IMO. 20W50 can be used to if used in warm climate majority of the time. I use Motorcraft (15W40) myself as it comes in 5 quart jugs rather than gal.
MU

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just saw 1 gal of diesel 15w40 for $9 that why I ask here. I believe it name Fleet oil. But Shell Rotella T cost $12 per gals.

What most time it common for leak so I can check and make sure it tight. Everytime when I use in winter it get hot then park in garage 2 days there are oil puddle it like dinner plate on floor but check engine oil and hydraulic tank it have oil. :confused:

Last year replace hydraulic hose to pump that was fun 1 day struggle get new thicker heavy duty hose to bend.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Dan,

Oil leaks can be difficult to trace as they don't always drip down where they are leaking - they could run along the line they are leaking from or the frame etc. What I would do is clean the tractor up real good, your going to be leaking when your running it as well you just don't see it because your moving.
Then you'll have to get in there and play detective, or look at it as a puzzle you must solve.
It may be easier to solve with it running, but be careful not to get burned, check each fitting and hose one at a time - you'll find it.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
I just found a leak on my 446 that was in the oil tank. The battery setting on top of it caused a hole in the top of the tank. Battery was clamped down so don't know what caused it.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah that could be because I check hoses they look like it didn't leak it came from top of engine or somewhere.

I will pull battery to check it.

Can I put old towel or wood under battery to prevent rubbing?

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Ah that could be because I check hoses they look like it didn't leak it came from top of engine or somewhere.

I will pull battery to check it.

Can I put old towel or wood under battery to prevent rubbing?
I cleaned the tank and used gas tank sealer on the hole. Something between the battery and the tank would be a good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts