My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to sell my GT245 and 42" snowblower. I will list on craigslist and probably a neighborhood forum, are there any other sites that I can post to that would be of benefit to get this sold quickly but not low-balled? I have not had much luck with selling stuff on craigslist and I see the same tractors sit for a long time whenever I search craigslist.

·
Michael
2,915 Posts
Facebook marketplace works well. It seems to have surpassed CL in recent years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I am not on facebook, but I could probably get someone to help me post something on that marketplace.

I'll look into the rules for posting in the for sale section. I am guessing the more views I can get on the ad, the better off I will be. I am guessing my asking price will dictate the speed of sale as well.

·
Michael
2,915 Posts
I would never use Fakebook, nor would I ever recommend it.

OP, there's a For Sale section here, but I'm not sure about the rules:

https://www.mytractorforum.com/83-sale-wanted-buy-your-location/

Sent from my keyboard using my fingers, no tappy-tappy stuff.

Why is that? It’s just another selling site that works great. I sold 35 machines this summer and probably 30 of them were on marketplace. You are going to have to deal with low ballers wherever you sell, but if all of the ones I sold this year only once did I sell one below asking price.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I’ve bought and sold a lot of stuff on Facebook marketplace (though I’ve had no luck trying to sell my 54C mulch kit and 48” blade - but I digress).

Not utilizing it would be of a disservice - that is unless you don’t live near a metro area (“near” in the context of an hour or so). I have a feeling it will depend more on how it’s priced than anything else. If you’re not near a metro area, you’ll need to price it to be enticing enough for someone to travel.

I had used Craigslist quite a bit in the past, but haven’t really had luck with it the past few years with anything.

FWIW, I’ve had no inquiries with the items I’ve listed on this site. But that may just be me.

There’s also eBay...

Nonetheless, I can’t imagine you’ll have much difficulty selling a GT245 so long as it’s in good shape.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nonetheless, I can’t imagine you’ll have much difficulty selling a GT245 so long as it’s in good shape.
I think it's in good shape, 480 hours but 45 of that was when I left the ignition on two years ago. Seat and hood are in good shape and I did all the recommended maintenance (PO was a mechanic and really meticulous, all maintenance items were dated on the filters and such and kept everything). The dealer I just put a deposit on a replacement didn't give me a lot of hope though for what I think its worth. The snowblower has typical chips from rocks and stuff, but is otherwise in good condition. I am near a metro area, so I will try facebook. I am pretty sure my wife has an account that I could use, but if not, I know a friend would do it for me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Price it right and it will sell on CL, EBay or FB. I would listen to the dealer if you don't want to store it over the Winter. I've had machines out the driveway within an hour of listing them and others that still haven't sold because they are worth more to me than anyone else. If you are trying to get every last dollar out of it you can, you might consider selling the blower now and waiting until Spring to sell the machine. Good luck.

·
Michael
2,915 Posts
Price as well as need will be the factors. Having the snowblower with it will help immensely as most people wouldn’t look at it very hard if it didn’t have one. I have a 210 for sale right now with just a mowing deck and I have only gotten one call on it in the last week. The caller decided not to buy it because he thinks I replaced the engine with a smaller one. He didn’t believe me when I told him it was original. He thinks you need an 18HP or more for a garden tractor that size.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
I don't deal with operations intent on violating privacy and gathering and selling personal information.
Create a fake persona for yourself on Facebook if all you want to use it for is to sell stuff on the marketplace. Who cares if they collect fake information that you make up?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't deal with operations intent on violating privacy and gathering and selling personal information.
Create a fake persona for yourself on Facebook if all you want to use it for is to sell stuff on the marketplace. Who cares if they collect fake information that you make up?
I probably will do that, I’m not a fan of fb. I just put the deposit on the x590 so it’ll be a couple weeks before it comes in, hopefully. I need mine for at least a couple weeks but after that, the wife says I can’t have two.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I sell a lot on CL. First I use all the City's in and around my state. Lots of pictures and describe what you said about upgrades. Always give a price that you would pay for it even if it is high. Make offer just never works for me. Snow removal sells better right after it snows and lawn equipment sells better right when the grass is growing fast. I have been watching feebay and CL for about 15 years almost every day sometimes twice a day. And when Gas prices sore or the Media speaks bad about inflation people clam up in Ky. A lot of old money and they just don't spend for things they really don't need. Or can do with a shovel or push mower. Start high and go down. I have sold old tractors doing the opposite start low and go up, It makes people think. Just what works for me.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
FB Marketplace for sure. Way less idiots than CL around here. I have a fake acct with no likes or friends so I only get sale group posts on my feed.

FB has collected the info that my fake persona buys and sells tractor stuff and tools. Oh the humanity.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've had good luck buying on FB but no luck selling. The only time I will ever negotiate with a buyer over the phone is if they are driving a long way to see the tractor. I tell them that I will come off of my asking price to help offset their cost of driving. I never give them an exact amount and I tell them that is not the beginning price to negotiate from. I do not use the online tractor companies like "Machinery Pete" etc because they do not represent the prices in my area. This is a terrible time of year to sell a mower but a great one for snoblo. Look at local prices and then factor in the time of year and how badly do you want to get rid of it.

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
CL is far from being surpassed around me.
And other than the Personals thing a while back, I don't think they're facing multiple lawsuits and state and federal investigations including anti-trust issues.

I don't sell much any more. I buy mostly by word of mouth and most of what I have stays with me until it's time for the junkyard.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
For those who hate Facebook. I was one of them. To much drama...
Then I learned how to control it. Once you do I think most people
would like it. You can lock out what you don't like and lock in what
you do like. If you like garden tractors there is forums for each make.
PowerKings Wheelhores etc. Now when I go to face book I see only
what I want to see.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
For those who hate Facebook. I was one of them. To much drama...
Then I learned how to control it. Once you do I think most people
would like it. You can lock out what you don't like and lock in what
you do like. If you like garden tractors there is forums for each make.
PowerKings Wheelhores etc. Now when I go to face book I see only
what I want to see.
Yep. Same here. I think its much easier to start with a clean slate though with a new profile thats not you. Then you only look at those things that are of interest to you.

I rarely log on to my FB as me anymore. It's always my buy and sell alter self. I have FB marketplace saved and it goes directly there. My home page only has local garage sale and tractor posts.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts