My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this year is pretty worst. We couldn't keep on AC at 75 it too hard on our health so we keep at 70

It seem that AC unit kick so often. Well we have 3 huge windows but they pretty get hot when sun direct at it. We try cover with blind it seem it nothing.

How you cover window to keep inside cool?

I found aluminum but have cloth on it. would that keep sun out? Aluminum shine sun to other place instead though house?

Our electric cost $250 per months. What most use electric are dryer, 2 ac unit which capable produce 18,000 btu, oven, and 2 fridges.

What most cheap thing to keep cool inside and keep sun out window?

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I'll trade bills with you Dan .. my electric bill in the summer is between $400 & $450

Do you have ceiling fans ?? If not put them in .. then you can turn up the AC and the fans keep you cool by moving the air

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Keep the curtains closed on the sunny side of the house. Cool only the rooms that you are in during the daytime - keep your doors closed.

Use a clothesline instead of the dryer.

If it's within your family's budget, upgrade to central air - much more efficient than window units.

Make sure all your door and windows seals are good.

Do you have enough insulation in your attic?

Are the soffit vents clear of obstruction?

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mean we have 2 central air

not window unit. that window unit would have kill us electric bills.

Ok $250 for 4 members of family.

but in Winter it would be over $400 because Christmas lights.

That true 1 door that doesn't seal good due worn out hinges and frame from high traffic user.

·
Registered
754 Posts
clean your air conditioning units inside and out they will be a lot more efficient, you have fins inside the air conditioner that get clogged with dust abd tha t really cut your efficiency, window or central, if you have window units take of the cover, and take them to a car wash and power wash them carefully every season before you use them, my sister and her husband never new this and i stopped over at they're house on the day they were going to throw away they're air conditioners and get new ones, i cleaned them for them and they worked as good as new. good luck.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fix door hinge holes with golf tees and wood glue, resets good foundation for door hinge screws. yea i'm cheap, but i'm not a thief.
That doesn't help

It have 3" screw and put wood dowel with glue

It held but not for last year it start loose then strip. We put bolt with nut under frame it held great but hinge where pin is worn out. It have door closer to keep shut down.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm total electric. My house is a 1600 square foot living space and my workshop is 1000 square foot. Both have a big in the wall air condiationer. Shop one is 110. My bedroom has a window air condiationer. My monthly budget is $140 with make up month usually $50 to $75. The house is kept at 70 degrees in the summer and 65 to 68 degrees in the winter. I have electric ceiling baseboard heat. I have an 80 gallon electric water heater.

All air condiationers get power wash every spring. The 110 in my shop was in the house until 10 years ago. It was new in 1972.

It sounds like your house is not insulated very well. My storm windows are shut. Something is wrong to have that high of an electric bill.
What type of heat do you have?
Is it turned off?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm total electric. My house is a 1600 square foot living space and my workshop is 1000 square foot. Both have a big in the wall air condiationer. Shop one is 110. My bedroom has a window air condiationer. My monthly budget is $140 with make up month usually $50 to $75. The house is kept at 70 degrees in the summer and 65 to 68 degrees in the winter. I have electric ceiling baseboard heat. I have an 80 gallon electric water heater.

All air condiationers get power wash every spring. The 110 in my shop was in the house until 10 years ago. It was new in 1972.

It sounds like your house is not insulated very well. My storm windows are shut. Something is wrong to have that high of an electric bill.
What type of heat do you have?
Is it turned off?
Wow that is a good price.Here in CT our house is all electric 2800sq ft central air inground pool family of 6 (5 females) summer electric $500-$600 winter $1000-$1300:banghead3 all new windows- doors-in the fall i plan on doing a finished basement so i plan on insulating that because that will be heated also.Hope with a warm basement the rest of the house will be warmer.

ED CASO

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Wow that is a good price.Here in CT our house is all electric 2800sq ft central air inground pool family of 6 (5 females) summer electric $500-$600 winter $1000-$1300:banghead3 all new windows- doors-in the fall i plan on doing a finished basement so i plan on insulating that because that will be heated also.Hope with a warm basement the rest of the house will be warmer.

ED CASO
Wow Ed, you need some boys! :ROF

·
Super Moderator
32,482 Posts
Any kinda curtin, or blinds closed over the sunny windows will realy help. If it keeps cycling on and off a lot you have the wrong size AC units.

Running a AC is never cheap, but the newer ones are a LOT more effecent then the old ones. How old are the ones you have??

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
Great suggestions.

I installed insulated curtains last fall on the large bay window that I have in my living room. In the winter, they really reduce heat loss to the window. The window is on a west exposure. In the summer when I close the curtain due to the sun, it really darkens the room. What a difference! The temperatures are reduced by about 10 to 15 degrees in the summer, and I don't have air conditioning.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
1 - put in solar hot water system
2 - put hot water tank on a timer for electrical use.
3 - All single pane windows get storm windows that seal ( dead air space is still good insulation )
4 - unplug all battery chargers when not in use ( they still use power ! )
5 - CFL lighting is a joke , They are unbalenced loads . Not like in Eourpe that demands all CFL's have to be balenced load. go back to 40 watt standard bulbs. Refrence - look up DR Peter Lindermans CFL reasearch.
6 - reinsulate , Look for setteling of insulation in attic and walls , It settles inside walls over time so you may have a foot or two uninsulated in an old house.
7 - rewire for solar lighting ( LED type ) can be run off a wind turbine such as a VANT ( takes up less space ) or solar pannels.
8 - when cooking turn stove off before your done , The residule heat is still there for 7 to 10 minutes.
9 - Only plug in what you need on the grid and when not in use unplug it ! many applinces are in stand by mode and use power to keep them ready.
10 - make a good habit of doing these things and teach others in the family.

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
Exterior window shutters or awnings or some screen fabric my neurotic neighbor has(it looks cool too). Basically block heat energy from ever getting inside.

Ventilate you attic well. You'd be surprised how much thermal heat radiates.

ON your ac equipment if its window, try putting it in a window that doesn't get much sunlight particularly during hottest time of day late afternoon. A superheated AC equipment enclosures increases power bills substantially and shortens motor winding life(compressor, condenser and evaporator fans all have there own motor).

You have whole house ac. If you outside unit sits exposed to sunlight erect a shade barrier giving a couple feet all around for good air flow. Again the sun light decreases thermal efficiency and prolongs run time. Bad on windings and circuit boards. Keep coils clean as others have said.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Plant shade trees on the sunny side of the house and a row of pines on the north side. In summer the leaves provide shade and drop to allow full sun in the winter.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts