My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you wanted to redo all the 40 year old wiring on your Bolens garden tractor, you could carefully remove the wires one by one, measure each, and replace them with wires of the same length, gauge, and color.

Or, you could start up the engine for a test, notice that the tensioner pulley for the twin drive belts is held back out of the way by the nice little clip for this purpose. Simply release the clip and...

1) the pulley slams down onto the drive belts
2) the 10 year (or older) drive belts try to go from zero to thousands of RPM in a millisecond
3) said belts are pulled apart and flail around the engine compartment at a good fraction of light speed
4) and snag every bit of wire that runs past them, i.e., all of it - all -every single fraking wire
5) including the wires from the magneto, which are instantly sucked out of the engine shroud
6) and mulched into 1 inch lengths of copper

Now, with your eyes bugging out of your head and your heart at 200 beats per minute, grab the kill switch and shut it down

... and realize ...

7) The wires have been sucked out of the engine shroud
8) including the kill wire.
9) so the switch is not connected to anything
10) and there is no way to kill this beast! Aaagghhh!

At least it is quieter because the belts are not beating against the inside of the engine compartment. Notice the tiny bits of belt and copper littering a burst radius of 6 feet.

Calmly reach over the engine and pull the spark plug wire. Pick up the remaining belts, bits of wire, and terminal connectors, and put them in a very small sandwich bag.

Et voila! Your tractor is completely stripped of all wiring and ready for new.:thThumbsU

And you were going to replace those drive belts anyway.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
If that really did happen, I am so sorry.

If it is any consolation, you have very impressive writing skills. That is fricken' hilarious.

If it did happen, I am laughing WITH you and not AT you. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, it happened. And I got at least one pic which I will share when I am calm enough to find the USB cable for the camera. Nearly soiled my shorts when it happened.

I just got the tractor several weeks ago and have been slowly getting it to run. The great news is, before that little fiasco, I had the engine running for a while and the hydromatic actually moved the tractor a few inches forward and back. So I know all systems are operational. Now I gotta take a day to rewire the thing, but ces't la guerre, It will look sweet with a new harness using the newer, neater cable wraps.

Every. Single. Wire.

·
Super Moderator
31,834 Posts
OMG thats AWSOME!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

That is SOOOOO freaken something I would do!!!!!!

I bet first the wife would hear things getting thrown around, then the swearing starts.... then the laughing starts!!!!!

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
this thread would make a great tutorial for the MTF reference library.:ROF
really funny story. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Seeing where it is posted and the title.......I knew it was going to be ugly.
That would be enough to give you stinky-pants.:trink40:

If it were me I would:
1. yell NOOOOoooooo:crybaby:
2. Scream at the motor to stop.:praying:

:wwp:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The procedure is not model-specifc, but it helps if you have really old belts. Look for some dry-rot to ensure a successful procedure.

BTW,nybody got a cross-reference for drive and PTO belts for a 1456 Bolens? I'm still flustered and cannot remember where I saw one on the net. I'll even get them from (wince) Tractor Supply.

Here are pictures of the final result. Looking at it the next day, it was not nearly as bad as I thought.

Fortunately, the wires were not broken within the engine cowl. Unfortunately, I had to go through the totally unnecessary procedure of removing the cowl before I noticed the molex connector safely dangling out of the engine. (I stripped several screw heads removing cowl. It just would not be a normal job without stripping some screws.) The molex connector let go before the wires broke. Nice!

Mostly, the incident erased the wires from the engine to the rectifier, and broke the lighting wires. The rest are tangled but largely intact. Very fortunately, the safety interlock connectors were saved. They would have been difficult to replace.

Here the wires are cleaned out, and you can see how the belts absolutely mulched the wires to the rectifier. Notice all the bits of copper? I'm kinda proud of that.

I am very lucky. Those flying belts could have caught my hands or hit me in the face. All I need is a spool of 14 ga yellow wire and a female molex connector, and I'll have it back together. :trink40:

After I vacuum out all the teeny bits of wire. It will live again.:thThumbsU

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Just to add insult to injury, your pics didn't show up. When it rains, it pours.

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Yes please try again. We want to mourn with you!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ah nuts. I can see the images but perhaps it is permissions. Here is the Picasa album with the overall shot of the tractor and implements, and later shots of the, um, "removal technique"

http://picasaweb.google.com/delowing/BolensH141456#

Somebody PM me with instructions how to attach images? :thanku:
- DougL

PS - found the bolens H14 1456 belt sizes in the parts manual

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
tell me that didn't really happen? what would i give for a picture.
I'd like to see a picture of his face when it happened .:Stop: :ROF

Man, what a mess that must've been. Sorry, but it IS a good writing,and I think we all feel his pain.

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Yes and I feel the pain now. Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It's nice to know that I am not the only one who finds himself in these situations.

One question. That clip that you took off that started all this - was something wrong with it?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's nice to know that I am not the only one who finds himself in these situations.

One question. That clip that you took off that started all this - was something wrong with it?
The clip is permanently on the tensioner arm to hold the pulley out of the way while you change the engine belts. I did not remove it, I just released it from the hold-back position.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself, anybody can miss something like that. My father always told me that only dead people are through making mistakes, the rest of us just have to keep learning from 'em. Bet you'll be the go-to guy on spotting belt to wiring contact issues at your local L&G hangouts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts