My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love these garden tractors!..so much fun!..but I have a couple of more complicated projects that I need advice about...I have 2 john deere garden tractors I would like to repower...the 260 has a kawasaki 17 hp vertical shaft...cracked block...and I am wondering if there is a kohler or briggs that might could be used as a repacement...how difficult is it to use a different motor??..also..I have a 318 with an onan...horizontal shaft...is there a briggs or kohler replacenent for it??..thats not too complicated to install?

Any ideas or options would really be appreciated...

·
Banned
587 Posts
I love these garden tractors!..so much fun!..but I have a couple of more complicated projects that I need advice about...I have 2 john deere garden tractors I would like to repower...the 260 has a kawasaki 17 hp vertical shaft...cracked block...and I am wondering if there is a kohler or briggs that might could be used as a repacement...how difficult is it to use a different motor??..also..I have a 318 with an onan...horizontal shaft...is there a briggs or kohler replacenent for it??..thats not too complicated to install?

Any ideas or options would really be appreciated...

There is a replacement engine for the JD 318. It will bolt right where the Onan engine was. Cost... about $1700.00 But, that is as far as you will go to get it running. You see, John Deere did some things to their electronics...wiring that is, that you will have trouble getting it to start/run. John Deere has this "special" igniter wired up to their starter/ignition/ coils, etc...coded so no other engine will adapt without some serious knowhow. Here's a site you can get the engine

http://tewarehouse.com/PA-64726

When you get the engine installed, and it won't start. Call them and ask them why. Chances are you will get this answer... "Sir, we only thought you wanted to replace the engine, we didn't know you wanted it to start and run." If you want it to start and run, we have the "kit" that will make it work... That kit is $225.00.

Do you want to spend $1925.00? Plus all the shipping fees. Total: $2165.00

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow...$2,165....I am about $1,565 short!!...I was hoping someone had put a horizontal briggs in their 318...and would tell me I could also do it without much porblem!..or an intek vertical in their 260...I might could rebuild the onan 20 hp in the 318...but that might cost $2000 anyway!..

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you want to re-power the 318 for around $500, you are going to have to find a used engine that someone wants to sell. Of course you always wonder what condition the used engine is in! If you can find a reputable source then you can eliminate some of the worries...but hard to find! Try checking out Weekend Freedom Machines web site at this link:

http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/174/178.html?1281973873

and browse through the items for sale. You can also check the archives and post a "Wanted" item in the appropriate forum thread.

Someone else on this forum may come along and have some more ideas or maybe even an engine for you!
Good luck! :thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
17,110 Posts
Eric I sent you a PM with some help:thThumbsU

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
There are Briggs, Kohler, and Honda replacements for the 318. As mentioned, make sure you get the price for the whole repower kit when you are shopping.

Tulsa Engine Warehouse, Small Engine Warehouse, and Jim's Tractors are good sources.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The biggest problems you'll run into are what most folks forget...the headpipe(s) and mufflers. Since JD ran a Kaw single in the 260 and the Onan twin in the 318, that is what they made exhaust for. It's actually very easy to bolt in another engine and do the wiring (I still have no idea what "module" FD611 is talking about) but then you'll realize you need to do something with the exhaust. Hacking up hoods or leaving off grilles just ruins the whole thing.

I know Jacks Small Engines makes some Honda and Briggs repower kits for the 318, and they include mufflers I think. I also think one engine fits better than the other...I think it's the Briggs. One won't let you install the engine side covers.

If you are a good fabricator, you can get around these problems, of course.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The other problem is the PTO for the 318 with the Onan. The JD PTO runs off a 1-7/16" shaft. Most Briggs have a smaller shaft, like 1". So you'd have to use a PTO made specifically for the Briggs.... and this will present all kids of problems with the mower deck. The JD probably won't work, the pulleys are different sizes, the Briggs PTO might not be in the right position for the belt to line up, etc, etc.

·
Super Moderator
35,723 Posts
The repowers are drop in replacement for th 318. Check the places that D-Dogg gave you I believe these come with the PTO already on them so that is not an issue you will have to worry about!

·
Addictionado
97 Posts
One of my 318's has been repowered with an 18 or 20hp Honda (haven't taken the engine out to get any #'s off it) and it works well (and sounds neat) it has a new PTO clutch and muffler & heat shield. There are no compromises to the operation and safety of the mower everything works as it does on my other 318's. I wish it had 24hp Honda but this is the what was in the tractor when I bought it spring of 09. I have been using it as my main grass cutting machine since with no issues except for installing a start circuit relay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts