My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to remove the fan and drive pulley on my transaxle to replace the sealing cap that was leaking oil. I got the pulley and the belt off but I can't get it back on. I've tried pulling the belt and using the tension reducer but there is seemingly no way to get it back on. I can get it close but not all the way on. Can anyone tell me the trick to get the belt back on the rear pulley?

Thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
So, you can't get the belt about a third on the pulley and then turn the pulley by hand to turn the belt on the rest of the way?

Maybe have the belt off the engine shaft, all the way on the fan shaft, then turn the motor by hand to get the belt to work itself on? Effectively the opposite of what you're trying to do.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, you can't get the belt about a third on the pulley and then turn the pulley by hand to turn the belt on the rest of the way?

Maybe have the belt off the engine shaft, all the way on the fan shaft, then turn the motor by hand to get the belt to work itself on? Effectively the opposite of what you're trying to do.
I tried that but the pulley wouldn't turn. I was also thinking that maybe I was doing it backwards. How do I get the pulley to turn so the belt will work itself on?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Isn't there a place on the engine shaft where a wrench will fit so you can turn it? Look for a flat spot somewhere?

I'm trying to help but the only machine I've replaced a belt on was an LA145 so it was a different animal. I hope someone else can chime in soon who may know better what to say.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you taken the spring off? Look the belt and pulleys over for a spot where the belt isn't seated in a pulley.
Then what?

I did take the spring off but couldn't put it back on after I put the belt on.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back with you quicker. I use a thin strong rope to pull the spring back in to place. I have a old pull cord from a chain saw but a long boot lace or something like that will work. I will hook the spring on the tensioner then from the back use the string to pull the spring onto the peg.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it! Turns out the belt had slipped down off the front pulley. I got it back on and then was able to turn the rear pulley to work the belt on. Tractor is back together and ready to hit Craigslist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.