My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been treated well by the other forums so I thought I'd try this forum for my unusual problem.

Here in northern North Carolina I have about a two acre pond. This irregularly shaped pond has a shallow edge that slopes to the middle very quickly. About 20 feet from shore it's at least 10 ft deep.

I have a teenager who was horsing around with our new kayak and a new $50 paddle. Amazingly enough for something that is used in the water, the paddle doesn't float. While playing the paddle sank.

Any idea how to find it?

The bottom of the pond is muddy, and it's full of fish. It's a very healthy pond and quite fun to paddle around on. I know approximately where the paddle is but we're talking about a quarter acre of 6-15 ft deep water.

Sure I could make my son work off the $50, but that's not much of a challenge. I have some bamboo on my property and cut a 18ft piece - but bamboo floats and it's not easy to poke around with when you're sitting in a kayak. If the locals saw me they'd be laughing at the stupid yankee. Heck, if I saw me, I'd be laughing too - but I'm stubborn and want that paddle back so I can fill it full of GoodStuff foam and make sure it never happens again.

Any help is appreciated.

:praying:

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Only thing I can think of is - do you know anyone who scuba dives? They might do it for the challenge, and a few beers afterwards.
Long shot - do you have any local emergency crews that do water rescues? They might do an exercise in your pond for practice.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
That's a great idea, Fcubman! Volunteer fire and rescue departments are always looking for training opportunities!

A scuba diver would paddle out to where the paddle is suspected to be, drop a concrete block with 50' or so of rope, swim down to the block and begin to swim in circles slowly letting the rope out unti lhe or she found the paddle.

A $50 paddle that doesn't float like my $10 paddles??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great ideas!

And yes, a $50 kayak paddle that doesn't float. I might feel stupid about losing the thing, but at least I don't make them.

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
If I was closer I would do it for 5bucks, I can swim with a hose in my mouth and no goggles (i can see under water) for 5min or so. What are you thinking, asking that question? EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA, well besides trucks, and tractors!

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Bet it's one of the "see-ment" ones, ya know, that ya use in the "see-ment" pond behint the house.

(cement pond, Beverly Hillbillies)

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
time to go fishing with a weighted magnetic lewer

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
If it's made out of wood, maybe you can find one of those "wood magnets". I have never seen one, but rumor has it they exist...:fing20:

'Course, wood would have floated (except teak).

What is it made of, anyway? The more info we have, the more chuckle-headed ideas we can fling at you :trink40:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Here in Michigan some of us use a fish cam when fishing on the hard water. Little monitor with a camera on 75ft of cable. Amazing the things you see on the bottom of a lake besides fish. If you knew somebody with one of those you could locate it and then go swimming after it.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
If it's made out of wood, maybe you can find one of those "wood magnets". I have never seen one, but rumor has it they exist...:fing20:

'Course, wood would have floated (except teak).

What is it made of, anyway? The more info we have, the more chuckle-headed ideas we can fling at you :trink40:
the only kayak paddles i've ever used were metal. but you'd have to know exactly where it is or have a real good idea where it is to use that method unless you wanna be out there for a loooong time.

give your son a pair of goggles and a garden hose and have him go under and look for it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, more information... Yes it's two hollow metal tubes, one that fits inside the other with a snap in the middle that allows you to adjust the length. It's powder coated black just in case you drop it into a river/lake/ocean and it sinks - except for the plastic paddle on each end which is yellow molded plastic. That way you have to go back to the store to buy another one if you drop it - which you will do inevitably unless you only kayak in your swimming pool.

The problem with the kid/hose is that the kid floats. I'd do it myself because I'm that kind of idiot but I'm much fatter than the kid so I float even more.

I'm going to try throwing a metal pronged thingy on a rope.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Buy an E-bay super magnet... If it gets even close to it you got it...
First I would check to make sure it's not aluminum...

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
you could always drain the pond.might take awhile.that way there you could clean it up real nice to.how about just getting a mini sub.they only run a few million.I could go on but I,m running out of Ideas.just fooling with ya.just because it says fifty on the bill doesn,t mean thats what its worth.you could probably make one out of wood that would really float.nice light wood like white cedar.teach the boy not to loose them.real easy to work to.2 inch white cedar board cut out on a band saw,draw knife to shave it down.don,t mind me I,m just blabbering on.7 or 8 inch board about right.polly coat will last a life time.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Use a long handle net they use in swimming pools. Rake the bottom with it. Or the one with a big hook on the end. Rake the bottom until you feel it.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Going underwater to depth with a hose in your mouth for air? Can one draw air at depth? I was told it is not possible.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
The pond is only 10-20 feet deep, I don't think it would be a problem. On the other hand, you will never see me trying to do it, either.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Going underwater to depth with a hose in your mouth for air? Can one draw air at depth? I was told it is not possible.
good point..not sure, but i think you could draw air in if you have good lungs, but trying to exhale could be a real problem,as you cant blow it back in the tube...i would not recommend trying it...

local scuba rescue team sounds like a great idea...after they get done saying..."you want us to rescue WHAT?!?!" if you dont know where to look, start with the nearest volunteer fire dept

1 - 20 of 36 Posts