My Tractor Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,568 Posts
because of a liability suit several years ago against MTD or one of the other manufactuers. All of them decided to implement reverse safeties to avoid the possibility of lawsuits later, even though no law requires it. in other words, jus tto cover their butts so they can say you were not using it as designed and therefore released them from liability.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Gentleman,

If you have a safe and effective way to bypass any devices, please use the private message system or email to communicate with each other :fing32:

Thanks, Mark7
Yeah I think if your determine like I was to find how to do the bypass,
you will eventually find it.
Just remember to take personal responsible for doing so if something should happen.

When my dealership delivered my X720, I notice when I lifted my weight off
the seat, the engine stayed running.

Later I found out the John Deere wrenches can do the safety bypass when setting up a new unit,
but in my case they forgot to remove something to turn on it's safety feature.....not to smart in their case.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Yeah I think if your determine like I was to find how to do the bypass,

you will eventually find it.

Just remember to take personal responsible for doing so if something should happen.

When my dealership delivered my X720, I notice when I lifted my weight off

the seat, the engine stayed running.

Later I found out the John Deere wrenches can do the safety bypass when setting up a new unit,

but in my case they forgot to remove something to turn on it's safety feature.....not to smart in their case.

Perhaps this is why the manual instructs you to test this. If the safety feature dosent work, I consider it a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
If I recall my L120 has the rio set up where the button needs to be held in. I found it impossible to steer with one hand, push the switch with the other and at the same turn my head around. At some point my switch went south and did what was necessary to finish the days work. I have devised a timer option that you would be able to set to a specific alloted time allowance that when you activated the rio the timer starts ticking giving you x amount of time / freedom and then releases. This way it alleviates the Rio issue without defeating it completely.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The problem with RIO is that the mower isn't the only implement one could be operating. If I had to pull up on a switch every time I needed to back up with a snow blower, I'd be ready to back over a lawyer with the blades running on purpose.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I cursed the RIO the first two or three cuttings, three weeks later I didn't even think about it, it had become second nature. Still not overly fond of the seat switch but its still hooked up. I think if I ran a snow blower on the JD I might change my tune on letting the RIO know which direction I was going, but for now that job is for a much older machine without all the modern gizmos.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did your machine come with an owner's manual? If so, look for the following:

Mowing while backing up is strongly discouraged.

An operator who deems it necessary and chooses to keep the mower engaged while backing up must lift and hold the power take-off (PTO) switch in the reverse implement position or press the RIO switch (on the left side of the steering column) as the reverse pedal is depressed slightly.

The operator can then release the PTO or RIO switch and the mower will continue to operate.

This procedure must be repeated the next time the operator chooses to keep the mower (or other PTO-operated equipment) engaged while backing up.

NOTE: The RIO system is normally activated when mowing by raising the PTO/RIO switch. The additional RIO switch on the left side of the steering column is provided for operator convenience when using the right hand to raise a front implement while preparing to back up.

Interlock switches

The hydrostatic transmission foot pedals must be in neutral, with brake depressed, PTO disengaged, and the ignition key used, before the tractor will start.

Once the tractor is running, the engine automatically shuts off if the operator leaves the seat with the PTO engaged, brake pedal unlocked, or hydrostatic foot controls out of the neutral position.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have disabled mine too, then fitted a horn on the button, works a treat..

Peter,
sent by telegram stop

·
X739 owner :)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for the advice and knowledge everyone! I guess with no seat time on this thing as a mower yet I wasn't aware of how this would really work. I will check it out ;) Thanks again!

·
Registered
207 Posts
different brands treat this differently. For example, My Cub Cadet LTX1050 RIO was engaged with a separate key position (where the headlight key position on the Deere) and the press of a button. This engaged the RIO until the either the parking brake was engaged or the operator left the seat activating one of those two safeties.

What is significant is that it allowed for reverse operation for an entire mowing session with no additional button pushing/pulling or cursing. You could even disengage the PTO, move to a different area and start mowing again without having to repeat the RIO lock-out feature.

It would be nice if the factory would offer some option for similar function. Frankly they expose themselves to far more liability with the current set-up because it invites people to modify and/or disable it.

This safety feature has a place, but Deere's implementation is not as user friendly as some other manufactures.

This has me thinking if you tie the safety into the headlight circuit. You would still have to turn it to a specific position to use an implement in reverse.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
The situation that caused the MTD lawsuit occurred 7 miles from where I live.

A wife doing in-home child care, a husband mowing up and backing down a grade,,

a child unattended for just a moment,,,

the local paper covered the court case in almost too much detail.

My Cub Cadet has the reverse PTO shutoff, it is unchanged.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I think people tend to bypass them more when you can't mow in reverse at all versus being able to hit a button and you can now in reverse

·
Registered
839 Posts
I just don't get that button. Instead of me turning on the seat to look behind me when I back up, I have to face forward and push the button. They should probably put the button behind you some where.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Precisely Jhon,

If I have to pull the switch up on my GX345 to back up while mowing I can't turn around to see whats behind me. I think they could be brought into a litigation situation for just that reason. I can hear it now, "they made the switch that way, I couldn't turn around to look".

I for one take responsibility for my own actions. Its how I was raised.

I guess we have raised more recent generations differently.

And, I have figured out a way to bypass when I see fit on the GX345, especially when using the snowthrower. My 345 has never had it.

With all that said, I will not disarm the seat switch on either tractor.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Does Deere make a button that functions like Cub does? I have a little triangle button that you turn back one click and push, to enable for reverse mowing. Maybe Deere has the same thing you can adapt?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Does Deere make a button that functions like Cub does? I have a little triangle button that you turn back one click and push, to enable for reverse mowing. Maybe Deere has the same thing you can adapt?

You hit a button and back up or lift up the handle depending on the model. You have to do that every time you back up.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My RIO didn't work on my GX345 when I bought it from the john deere dealership near me. I asked the salesman about it, and he said don't ask. So I guess they have to be careful too.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
thats an area I will not go into and here is why.

the original safety was designed in a manor to make you stay on the tractor to push in the button, if you have a toggle you essentially just have a jumper, that no long requires operator input to maintain the interlock, and you can bypass the safety and walk away.

Now if someone was foolish enough to get around that safety a toggle switch is one possible way they could try to do it, but I strongly recommend you leave all safety devices exactly as designed
I don't see that because pressing in on the brake while deck engaged would still shut it off - and you can't just "walk away" without it shutting off if you don't apply the parking brake.

Husqvarna and MTD utilize the RIO on the key ignition - you turn the key back a click and leave it there, you can then mow at any time in reverse. You could theoretically "walk away" from that - but you can't. Because if your blades are engaged and you hop off the seat... it shuts off. If you try to apply the park brake to get off the seat - it also shuts off.

Reactions: Jag9922

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,207 Posts
I'm not sure about that particular model, but most current JD lawn & Garden tractor models have a seat safety switch that will kill either the PTO or the engine when your weight is not fully in the seat when the PTO is engaged, regardless of whether the RIO switch is engaged or not. There is also a circuit that shuts off the PTO whenever you press on the brake, and locking the brake in the park position is the only way to take your weight off of the seat without killing the engine. Modifying the RIO switch to be a toggle instead of a "press & hold" (or "pull & hold")will not change any of those other safety features.
I have this feature on 2 of the 3 LT155's that I own.. I do not have to hold the button down .. just press it & go to reverse.. I can remove my hand from the button once I start movin backwards..

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
It should be that you can hit the brake when the mower is running, and if you set the park brake, as soon as the weight is gone on the seat, it kills the mower, not killing the mower upon brake, because most of the time I would assume you are mowing, and this makes the brake useless, well of course unless if it's an emergency situation

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.