My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I have acquired a late 60's Ford 3000 diesel. It was running about 2 years ago but quite roughly, smoking and the hydraulic lift wasn't holding up well.
Anyway, this tractor is out in the country and I want to get it onto a trailer to take it about 70 miles away to have items repaired.
Question: If I get a trailer with ramps how can I get the dead tractor on it? Do I just put it in neutral and pull it with a come-along? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Just make sure the front of the trailer is elevated just a bit so the front of the free rolling tractor grill stops before it is even with the ball hitch. In other words, you have control where it stops.

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
If it's a select-o-speed, you have to disengage the rear from the transmission before you move it with the engine off. There's a lever on the right side under your heel that engages/disengages the transmission to/from the rear differential.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I plan to go up to get it next week. I have a guy that will bring his trailer w/winch to load her up.
I don't know much about this tractor yet. I don't have the actual serial number but do have the following number but I'm not sure what it means or tells me: C 5 NN 7006 BY. See pic also.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
From the picture of the shifters, it's got a manual transmission, so just put it into neutral to winch it onto the trailer. As Maybar said, don't do it pointing down hill, or you might not stop the tractor when you want it to stop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not really following the Canadian humor but thanks for the info you other guys. I am going up to get it later this week and then I can look it over and get serial numbers etc.. to find out just what I have.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
From the pictures... it looks to be a manual 8-speed.

Just put it in neutral and winch it up. Shouldn't be too much of a problem... unless you've got seized bearings or something locked up in the differential (flat tires can make it a bit more difficult, too)

:goodl: and looking forward to some more pictures, once you get her home...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, she rolled out of the shed just fine and took a trip to Spring, Tx for a rebuild. Getting new rings, bearings, gaskets, valve job & hyd lift pump. Hopefully she will be good to go for quite a few years after this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts