My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a chance to use the model 50 blower today. It was ok, but since I have always used 2 stage blowers in the past the single stage was a bit underwhelming. I may need to give it another chance. I wanted to see what would be involved to adapt a model 47 blower to fit the 400

·
Registered
963 Posts
Compatibility 400 series chart for snow blowers, need old fridge style 47 blower Model 2753 from 420, 430

Attachments

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
921 Posts
The flap modification to a 50 makes a big difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have already done the flap mod. The 50 would probably have been fine except there is a large area of my drive way that I have to blow the snow multiple times to actually clear it off.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Anything is possible. It will require cutting and welding. You will need to make something different for the part that actually connects to the tractor as the frame of the 400 is wider. I installed a tall chute on my model 50 and am very happy with the performance. The chute design on the model 50 makes it throw the snow short. You might need to take half width of the thrower to reduce the load of the second blown snow pass. That isn't an easy task for any machine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw that you added a longer chute to your 50 thrower. Where did you get the chute? Is this a worthy mod for the 50?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
the 47 chest freezer from a 420/430 will fit a 400, it just need a couple brackets that are still available from JD.

a quick hitch from a 420/430 may fit as is, but I do not know.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I saw that you added a longer chute to your 50 thrower. Where did you get the chute? Is this a worthy mod for the 50?
The chute was off of a craftsman I think. I purchased it on ebay. I cut the welds on the original short chute as well as this longer chute. Welded the longer chute to the model 50 ring and painted it up. It was very worthwhile. I can throw snow a pretty good distance without the flapper mod. Nothing against the flapper mod I just feel like the chute was a better modification for me to make. I don't really like the idea of bolts rotating at that speed inside my blower housing the same direction as the throwing path.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The chute was off of a craftsman I think. I purchased it on ebay. I cut the welds on the original short chute as well as this longer chute. Welded the longer chute to the model 50 ring and painted it up. It was very worthwhile. I can throw snow a pretty good distance without the flapper mod. Nothing against the flapper mod I just feel like the chute was a better modification for me to make. I don't really like the idea of bolts rotating at that speed inside my blower housing the same direction as the throwing path.
Just ordered a chute. Will hopefully have it all welded up by next weekend

1 - 11 of 11 Posts