My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got grass and weeds starting to grow up in my driveway (class A and crusher dust) and it's starting to look unkept. What's a good thing to use to kill grass and anything green from growing up thru it.....Mike

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Pramatol 25E IIRC, applied in diesel fuel. It'll be several years before ANYTHING will dare grow there again!

Oh, and you'll probably want a dedicated sprayer for the stuff, it's MIGHTY potent!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like potent stuff alright. Don't really want to know if Iwant to use something that powerful around here as we're on well water. Liable to end up like the Simpsons with the three eyed fish :)......Mike

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
I've got grass and weeds starting to grow up in my driveway (class A and crusher dust) and it's starting to look unkept. What's a good thing to use to kill grass and anything green from growing up thru it.....Mike
I use Ortho Total Kill made for and sold through HD..It has 51% glyphosate..(more than RU)

It takes a little longer than RU (5 to 7 days) but does the job.:fing32:

More Curbing here

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds a bit safer Ken. It doesn't look like it's available in Canada or at least it's not listed on HD's .ca, site next time I'm in town I'll have a look for it.....Mike

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The proper product from Ortho would be "Groundclear". Glyphosate products will work but they don't provide residual control; glyphosate only kills what is presently growing.

Any home improvement store should have some type of ~6 month herbicide. Just need to look a little harder.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Clorox bleach

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
If you want to be herbicide free, you could put down lots of rock salt. Salt also helps to keep the gravel firmly packed. Corn gluten will inhibit new seed germination.

Periodic raking/harrowing will dislodge new weeds that do make a start and for the odd salt tolerant weed that persists, you can knock down with a weed torch.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to try vinegar. I mixed up a bit this afternoon , 50/50 with a bit of liquid detergent and sprayed it on a few weeds/grass and I'll see what the results are.
I'm not aagainst using chemicals, just the ridiculous prices they charged for them.
Thanks all for the replies.....Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts