My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Do somebody know where i can find a guide to install my mower deck. I Never install IT before on my gt18 and i'm not sure about the way to Do and if i have all the pieces. Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Did you get the deck ramps with it? If so insert the pins into the hole in the back off the deck. They will align with the tractor front wheel track. Make sure the deck wheels are at their lowest setting. Then just drive up on the deck with the front wheels. Remove the ramps and go forward till the back tires contact the deck. You will then need to hook the front bar on the deck into the mounting bracket on the front of the tractor. Next make sure the floater chain on the back of the tractor is fully releaded. Stick the lift lever in the float mode and connect the lift arms. Next connect the PTO and insert the lock pin or what came with the deck. Raise the deck and pull the floater chain to the fifth link and now you are ready to go mow. Might not hurt to lube the deck before mounting it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you don't have ramps, I've been able to use short 2x4s as a substitute. You need to be in the grass.

If you haven't already, download the free manual for the deck on ariens.com. it's very helpful

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hoping not to hijack this thread, but I recently acquired a GT17 with a 48" mower deck that was installed when I bought it.
I do have the set of ramps which came with it, and they worked great on the front when I removed the deck.
When trying to re-install the deck I found that the ramps wouldn't touch the ground on the rear because they were resting on the rollers, so I ended up just pushing the deck forward instead of climbing the ramps.
My deck was in the full down position.
It just seemed that the ramps were too short or the rollers were too big around. Are there different sizes of either?
I ended up using my shop crane to raise the front end of the tractor and moved the deck into position by hand.
Not very convenient to say the least.
I will try the 2x4 trick next time unless someone has a better idea.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Hoping not to hijack this thread, but I recently acquired a GT17 with a 48" mower deck that was installed when I bought it.
I do have the set of ramps which came with it, and they worked great on the front when I removed the deck.
When trying to re-install the deck I found that the ramps wouldn't touch the ground on the rear because they were resting on the rollers, so I ended up just pushing the deck forward instead of climbing the ramps.
My deck was in the full down position.
It just seemed that the ramps were too short or the rollers were too big around. Are there different sizes of either?
I ended up using my shop crane to raise the front end of the tractor and moved the deck into position by hand.
Not very convenient to say the least.
I will try the 2x4 trick next time unless someone has a better idea.
When you refer to ground is that concrete, dirt, grass or what? I don't have a 48" deck. I do have a 42" that can be driven over even with out the ramps in the grass and a 60" that require ramps. I don't have concrete just dirt or grass. You say the deck is clear down. Does the back touch the ground when down? An other option would be backing over the front. Not desirable but the deck will support it.
Read again what you posted. Try setting the ramps on the roller instead of the deck. Your rollers go almost clear across the back. I am not sure what diameter they are supposed to be.

·
Registered
800 Posts
When you refer to ground is that concrete, dirt, grass or what? I don't have a 48" deck. I do have a 42" that can be driven over even with out the ramps in the grass and a 60" that require ramps. I don't have concrete just dirt or grass. You say the deck is clear down. Does the back touch the ground when down? An other option would be backing over the front. Not desirable but the deck will support it.
Read again what you posted. Try setting the ramps on the roller instead of the deck. Your rollers go almost clear across the back. I am not sure what diameter they are supposed to be.
No! DO NOT BACK OVER THE DECK! It's been a while since I sold my Ariens but my recollection is that the manual specifically says not to and I believe it is because the location of the transmission filter. It will smash into the deck gear box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The deck was completely down flat on the ground, but yes the "ground" was indeed pavement.
I'll try installing on the grass next time and/or move the ramps back. I just didn't want to chance crushing the rollers, if that was even possible.
I'll let you know how that goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No! DO NOT BACK OVER THE DECK! It's been a while since I sold my Ariens but my recollection is that the manual specifically says not to and I believe it is because the location of the transmission filter. It will smash into the deck gear box.
I think I read that too, so that wasn't going to happen.
Thanks for that though, you might have saved me from further issues had I tried.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Duh! I guess I should have read the operator's manual more thoroughly.
There's a special note on the "Installation" page (pg.8) that discusses the sliding issue, complete with solutions and diagrams.
Although nothing about driving in reverse over the front. Must've read that elsewhere.

White Organ Wheel Font Line

Rookie Mistake :rolleyes:
On the other hand this might help somebody else with a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Back tires should not leave the deck until it clears. The filter would be the last thing I would worry about crushing. The suction hose from the differential sits way lower than the filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts