My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently found a 451 snowblower and would like to mount it on my 782. I am encountering a problem securing the lift bracket that comes with the 451 to the lift shaft on the 782. The 451 manual instructions suggest that the lift arm that's on there now can be removed and replaced with the 451 lift arm. I am skeptical as I can't figger out how the exisiting lift arm on the 782 would come off the lift shaft, as they seem to be one piece.

thanks in advance!

Bill

·
Registered
550 Posts
Bill the 451 is the wrong blower for a 782. 450 is the one you need. They are basically the same blower except for the gear ratio. The 451 is geared lower to make up for the larger PTO pulley on the later machines.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

welllllll the 451 is the one I have unless someone wants to swap with me.

I am more concerned about the raise-lower lift rod and the connection thereto.
Pulleys can be changed.

BIll

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Pulleys can be changed.
Its the gearbox that needs to be changed. Otherwise it will spin too fast.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Its the gearbox that needs to be changed. Otherwise it will spin too fast.

The gear boxes are all the same 1:1. There are different size pulleys on them though. And putting a smaller pulley on is a modification some have done to (spin) there blower faster.

The 451 is for the cyclopes style tractors. On those models there is a piece that bolts on the end of the rockshaft (lift arm). On the 782 it will not work . You will need to measure and make a lift rod to go between the lift arm( outside the frame) and the blower.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice! I have the piece that bolts to the lift shaft- I'll just make a steel plate to bolt to the existing lift bracket that matches the one o have.
Anyone know the pulley diameter on the 450?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The gear boxes are all the same 1:1. There are different size pulleys on them though. And putting a smaller pulley on is a modification some have done to (spin) there blower faster.

The 451 is for the cyclopes style tractors. On those models there is a piece that bolts on the end of the rockshaft (lift arm). On the 782 it will not work . You will need to measure and make a lift rod to go between the lift arm( outside the frame) and the blower.
Oh, I thought that someone looked up the gearboxes for a 451 and 450, and they were not the same. It was the pulleys that were the same.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The 450 has a 15 tooth input, and a 28 tooth output. The 451 has a 12 tooth input and a 31 tooth output. So they both spin the same speed or at least very close.

The pulley size is 1 inch ID, 7 inch OD. Part number 756-0506, and is NLA. When I said the pulleys are different ,I meant on the older ones, there are 2 different size pulleys, they can be swapped to speed them up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
28/15 = 1.86

31/12 = 2.56

not clear there is enough real estate to put on a 9-10" pulley to get the speed the same.

what's the down side of it spinning 30% faster? I don't see one, unless there's not enough torque to eject a chunk of heavy wet snow.

Here's a ? - the manual shows a manual lift bracket part 4-12 and a hydraulic lift bracket 1-6. They look identical in the pics..... what's the diff?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Those ratios are correct. But the gear is not driving the input shaft, the pulley is. It is driving at the same speed no matter what the tooth count is. I remember that someone had measured the gears, and they were the same diameter, just different tooth count. Assuming cub had changed the count for a stronger gear. So it has to be looked at like a fine and course splined axle. Same diameter,different tooth count, but the same speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts