My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been cleaning up a '48 M and have found that the 60 year old baked on dirt/grease/oil is like a rock. I have the carb off trying to clean it up and have resorted to a hammer, chisel and a wire brush.

I've tried engine cleaner, and two different de-greasers and nothing seems to work. I wanted to clean off the dirt before taking the carb apart for the rebuild. Any suggestions, or should I just keep chipping away? :banghead3

Thanks!

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Have you tried oven cleaner? That seems to work for me.

·
Old Fart
3,228 Posts
horseman1 -

I've had some luck puting small parts like that in boiling water for about an hour.

As "Jody" said, oven cleaner works well. As a last resort, you could sand blast it. If you don't have a sand blaster, I'm sure there's a place near you that you could have it done.

Good to see you posting over here.

ED

·
Gearhead
880 Posts
Dollar General brand oven cleaner does a good job and is cheap. It works best of course if the parts are warm. I keep a can of engine tuner around for cleaning carbs. This is a product made by Evinrude/Johnson and can be found at any marine that is an Evinrude/Johnson dealer. It's not actually designed for cleaning carbs, but it does one heck of a job. It cleans a lot of stuff that carb cleaner won't. Heavy varnish is dissolved quickly, brass parts look like new after soaking in it for a few minutes, and clogged pasages are often opened by it. I use it for the heavy stuff and then finish with regular carb cleaner.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jody,

I havent tried oven cleaner yet. I'll do it ASAP. I've heard from others it works well too.

Ed,

Good to be here! All my different tractor habits in one place :) Think I'll get me a little sand blaster and use a non-silca media for some of parts. I was worried about getting media in some of the little passages on the carb. Boiling sounds like an interesting idea.

aguysmiley,

I think the oven cleaner will be the next step, although I have most of the easy-to-get-to stuff off already. I've never heard of engine tuner. I'll talk to my boating and fishing buddies and see where I can get some of that around here.

Thanks for the help!

·
Old Fart
3,228 Posts
Kurt -

Look around for a small Sonic Parts Cleaner. You can put various cleaning solutions in it and it cleans parts by vibration. Just the ticket for getting small particles out of tight places. We used them in the Navy for all kinds of things. Harbor Freight used to have them and you should be able to find one at an electronics supply house.

If ya use the oven cleaner, take "aguysmiley's" tip and warm the part you are cleaning before applying the oven cleaner.

Yep, there's a separate section for each tractor ya have. I think you're going to really like it here.

ED

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Horseman1, first, graet to see you here, and I hope you enjoy this site, and all the great guys here who are always ready to help! second, I'll add a :ditto: for the oven cleaner, I've used it quite often for the same purposes. For really tough stuff I use a wire brush dipped often in gasoline and scrub vigorously. Like you said, 60 years of varnish, grease, oil, and dust really cakes on hard!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The oven cleaner worked better than anything else. Not too bad... A little more touch up and some primer and paint. Too bad I dont have a before picture, you couldnt see any adjustment screws :fing32: Thanks!

btw Ed, I'm still looking for a parts cleaner at the right price...

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Kurt, nice job! :congrats: I expect you had to use a wire brush along with the oven cleaner? Your M is going to look really nice!

·
Citizen of Earth
15,244 Posts
I save all my old toothbrushes, have a collection of toothbrush sized brass bristle brushes, Q-Tips, stainless steel dental pics, and hope to add a Dremmel type tool with the miniature wire brushes to my arsenal of devices to clean off ancient crud. Too bad archeologists aren't interested in the stuff we scrape off old machines ROF .

·
Old Fart
3,228 Posts
Nice job Kurt. It really came out looking good. See if you have a "surplus" electronics warehouse in your area. You can pick up a lot of good things there. One other thing ya might want to try for close spaces is dental picks. Ask your dentist for some. He may have some old ones laying around. If not, you can buy them from electronic parts stores.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts