My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Well, well, I do seem to have kicked the coop a little here. Let me try and answer some questions. First, I'll say sorry for the delay, but I was out of circulation Monday and Tuesday with the flu.

Now, I don't want to make any assumptions about how things happen here on MTF, but I'll tell you what I often see in other forums. People do post lots of great threads with their experiences and a lot of people rad them and find what they need.

Sometimes, there is a lot of discussion after and other points emerge that are important to the topic, but are only found two, three or ten pages after.

Sometimes there are links to other information and they get broken after a year or two.

Sometimes the person writing the original post links to photos somewhere else and later that somewhere else disappears and there's just red X's left. Sometimes, there's just no photos to start with.

And sometimes the person posting doesn't really take the time to explain things so that a novice can understand what is being talked about.

We're not necessarily trying to turn people into mechanics, but to give them the information they need to make a decision whether some particular job is within their capability, or they should have a shop look after it for them.

So, the question has come up a number of times about posts that have already been made. First, those posts will remain right where they are. If you're interested in converting one or more of them to a Quick Tip, an article or a feature for the TECH Exchange, I'd love to talk to you about it.

If there aren't any photos in the original post, well we're going to have to find some. If the thread rambles on for 300 posts, we're going to have to cut some stuff out and make sure its not the important content. If there's broken links we'll have to fix them.

Since old posts can't be edited, there's a Working Area forum for TECH Exchange writers to create and update new articles.

Anybody that still wants to post a DIY and have it stickied in the normal way is free to do so, just as before. Nothing has changed in that way at all.

Hope this helps... Don
Actually it did help answer some questions thank you, but none that I raised so I guess we shall see what happens.:thanku:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was just about to start a post on the Simplicity page about rebuilding my 60"MMM before next season. I am taking lots of photos, and I am going to be making some repairs and mods.

I dont want to have to sort through a bunch of posts and tech articles about green and red, when I know I can go to the "orange" forum, and usualy find what I need. No offence to the green and red guys out there.

I am going to conitnue my work, and begin to post my info on the Simplicity forum, no offence Don. The point of posting your work throughout the stages of the project is so that people can comment on your work and possibly offer you suggestions as to ways you could improve your repair/design/rebuild. Also sometimes its just nice to see an "Ada Boy" or "great work" from your peers. I haven't been on this forum for long, but there are a lot of talented people on here, and I like to her what they have to say.

Leaving the work to an "editor" takes out the friendly feeling, and makes this more like reading a tech manual, that's not what forums are about. That's what a subscription based website is about. "want to find out how to complete this rebuild, please enter your credit card number now".

In the immortal words of my neighbour Wilson "I dont think so Tim"

My 2 cents

30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey there Owen2008XL - no offense taken. As I said before, anybody that still wants to post a DIY and have it stickied in the normal way is free to do so, just as before. Nothing has changed in that way at all.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
"Powerstroke.org"?

Someone forgot to change the web address on that one...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Wow, this AF Don / VF Don / The Don guy is all over multiple forums with the exact same "Tech Exchange". No wonder there was some confusion with the emblems. The text in the messages he has posted is all exactly the same, too, other than that describing the particular forum or it's focus. He or his staff (whomever that may be) is sure going to be busy reviewing, approving, and editing all of the articles that these multiple forums are going to produce.

I'd like to hear what the back story to this "Tech Exchange" business is. Something seems not quite right.

MyTractorForum
VTwin Forum
SRT Forums
HCS Snowmobile Forums
Chevelle Forum
Challengertalk Forum
Hyundai Genesis Coupe Forums
Cummins Forum
Powerstroke Forum
8thCivic Forums
DriveAccord Forums
Corral.net Mustang Forums
DigitalCorvettes Forum
And more.

Hmmm... I see now, these are all forums owned by Verticalscope.

Apparently Don was tech editor at a Mustang magazine for a while.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I suggest that we continue to post our "tech" rebuild documentaries and the like in the tractor brand forum where folks normally would. What I would change is to label or index the photo tech "how to" posts into a global "TECH" forum. This way you would use minimal storage space by simply pointing to the "how to" thread in the brand forum. The new "Tech" forum would just point to the threads where the poster has identified it as a "techie how to" post. Sort of like a search function already done for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did Verticalscope buy this place or are they just in monitoring mode? So any idea's, Something better than ohm's law, etc, that can be sold to a magazine?? Am I on the right track???

·
Administrator
21,561 Posts
Yes, VerticalScope did purchase MTF about 10 months ago. If you look around this section a bit there are some ideas that they are looking for, plus an explanation of how it will all work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll tell you what methinks. Methinks MTF is about to loose some members due to confusion and the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I mean MTF has been a lot things to a lot of people and I, for one, do not want to see it changed. I like it just the way it is.

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
hey don or anyone else that can answer this for me , i sort of understand how the tech exchange works , if a person wants to enter a tip that person would write it and add photos then send it to you for editing am i right? if not can you clear this up for me also after the tip is all said and done will it be in the tech exchange or will it be in the sute able forum say a tip on how to change the gear oil in a john deere will that be in the john deere forum or the tech exchange , thanks

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
The first step to take, ford boy, is to send any of the Tech Exchange Mods a PM with your idea. The Mods Brad, Mark777, D-Dogg, Tiretrx, and myself.

Once a topic has been approved, you will be notified and given instruction to start your article in the password protected Working Area to write your article. After the article is in final form with all editing completed, it will then be moved to the appropriate area of the Tech Exchange forum.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM any or all of us listed above and we will help you out.

Thanks for your interest! :fing32:

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
thanks dj for helping me understand the tech exchange i have something in the works but i am not quite finshed with it , i will contact one of you when i get ready to , thanks for the help

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
You're welcome.

It would probably save you some work in the short term to go ahead and PM any of us with your idea so that we can set up in the Working Section. You can then work on your article at your leisure and have a working thread that you can edit at any time.

It's totally up to you so do what works best for you. :fing32:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts