990 doesn't have any model number or nothing , i don't even have the

original dash witch sucks , im looking around for one and cant find any

where , but anyhow , i wondering if there any other way of determining the

year / model , by whether it has 4 bolt pattern or maybe the muffler style or

some other way ?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Based on the fact that it has C-Clip front hubs dictates that it is a 1978 or newer. The engine does not look like the original engine based on the fact that it has a starter instead of a starter-generator and also the gas tank is not the one that came with the 990's. I am thinking that some time in your tractors past it had a crate engine installed. This will not tell us the year of your tractor if that is the case.

Around 1980 MTD used a different style 4 bolt hub rear wheel. See in link here.
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...&w=344&h=258&ei=g1j6TsTIDtSItwfupM3QBg&zoom=1

Your tractor has the earlier style rear wheel. With that said your tractor was most likely built between late 1977-1979.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info

the guy that had it before me said it was the original motor but he said he had cut into the metal that covers the fly wheel and put that starter in cause he couldn't find one like the original one and he said the gas tank had holes in it and he replaced it with that one

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Thanks for the info

the guy that had it before me said it was the original motor but he said he had cut into the metal that covers the fly wheel and put that starter in cause he couldn't find one like the original one and he said the gas tank had holes in it and he replaced it with that one
Thanks for clearing that up. I say use what works. What threw me off is that most 990's use a flywheel with out teeth. I think yours is the first one I have seen with this set up. Maybe there was a certain year Briggs and Stratton went with a geared starter over the starter-generator.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Arob, the manuals and data on these are sketchy at best sometimes.

Though I have seen a 1978 (engine was a 78 anyway) with the c-clip front wheels, the 1978 manual lists a front wheel hub. At the same time, it lists only a starter/generator engine.

We don't see the starter plus c-clip wheels until 1980 according to what I could find in the manuals. Looks like you are missing your heat shields, BTW.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm it could be a different motor, it has the pto hook up in the front but has no pulley on it, there's threads on the shaft where one could be put on , but i'm not sure , im just going by what the fellow before me , had told me ,

Are starter- generator's easy to find ? if so it would be so much much convenient, because the starter that's on there now has a plastic nut thing which turns the fly wheel not sure what its called, i have to replace every month cause it just strips it

·
Premium Member
6,605 Posts
Mine just has a starter not a starter/gen . It appears to be original, but :dunno:

The engine #

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Starter-generator's are some what easy to find. The only problem with the starter-generator is that you need 990 specific start-gen brackets. Also your engine has to have the large diameter pulley on the front for the start-gen belt. From what I can see in the pictures your engine does not have this pulley. This pulley can be found on just about all B&S engines from this era. Many garden tractors used this set up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea that's right i don't have a pulley on it will be looking for one around at our local tractor repair guy down the road, im going to take a look in his scrap tractors and see what i can find , do they make bran new starter -gen like a aftermarket part or i would have to look for somthing used?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
You would have to get a used starter-gen but they make rebuild kits for them. These starter-gens are easy to rebuild. I can get you a picture of what the pulley looks like tomorrow and the starter-gen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 1980 Farm King has c-clip front wheels and just the starter. It appears to have a stator behind the flywheel for charging, and it is original.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also see in your pics that it looks like you have the bolt on steering wheel instead of the one thats held on with a roll pin, It also looks like you have a chrome air filter cover, these are a couple of changes that were made around 1980.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Okay thanks , and sure thing kingwood 990 ill have some more pictures of the motor tmrw as well ill take off the grill so u can have a better look at mine and close up on the wheels
Its going to be late tonight or tomorrow before I can get you the pictures. I have to put a clutch in a Mazda so I won't be home much today. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.