My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still waiting for my service manual CD, but until then...

1: How the heck to I drain the hydraulic fluid from the tractor, and what is the fill level? And what type of oil?

2: Is the same fluid shared between the rear end and the hydraulic stuff? It appears so...

thanks!!!!

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
I will be doing the same on my 318 tonight or tomorrow. I will be following this thread as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lowest point of the system is the rear end right? There is NO drain plug on it. I'm guessing that I might have to use a suction tool to remove the oil (like on I/O boats). But what I don't understand is that the hydraulic pump is a lot higher than the rear end. So how does the oil get UP to the pump? Hmmm....
Can any of you pro's out there school me a little bit?

·
Premium Member
10,181 Posts
If it's like my 316 Kohler there is a cooling pipe at the bottom of the rear end. You unscrew the fitting and the hydro fluid pours out.

Fluid should be half way up the sight glass on the back of the rear end.

Yes, the hydraulics use the same hydraulic fluid.

·
Citizen of Earth
16,337 Posts
If it's like my 316 Kohler there is a cooling pipe at the bottom of the rear end. You unscrew the fitting and the hydro fluid pours out.

Fluid should be half way up the sight glass on the back of the rear end.

Yes, the hydraulics use the same hydraulic fluid.
:ditto: Works a little better if you can get the front wheels up on an incline. As noted, it's full when the level is halfway in the sight glass at the rear of the tractor when the tractor is level.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine doesn't have a sight glass? It does have a hose and some kind of inline filter going from one area of the rear end to the drain pipe fitting. The JD drawings say it has a "sight tube", but it's nothing more than a blue colored rubber hose...nothing that you can see through. Do you think someone replaced a clear hose with this blue colored hose on mine?

What type of hyd. oil?

check out the drawing attached...

thanks again!

Attachments

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,324 Posts
Thats what I did on my 300 when I first got it, loosened the line, and unscrewed the 90* elbow fitting from the transmission and let it sit over night to dribble drain.

Dont forget to replace the filter too, and add some oil to it, as well as lube the seal on it before you screw it on.

~F~

·
Premium Member
10,181 Posts
Mine doesn't have a sight glass? It does have a hose and some kind of inline filter going from one area of the rear end to the drain pipe fitting. The JD drawings say it has a "sight tube", but it's nothing more than a blue colored rubber hose...nothing that you can see through. Do you think someone replaced a clear hose with this blue colored hose on mine?

What type of hyd. oil?

check out the drawing attached...

thanks again!
If your hose is opaque blue, yeah,that's a problem. You should be able to see the level of the fluid in the tube on the left side at the back end of the tractor. (see picture) You can see the tube through the slot and the fluid should be half way up that part of the tube.

·
Citizen of Earth
16,337 Posts
And as to what type of fluid? They originally came with type "F" automotive automatic transmission fluid (red in color). Deere currently recommends their own Lo-Vis Hygard fluid (clear amber in color). Do not mix the two in large quantities, a few spoonsful of one mixed with the other is ok, but not half & half if you know what I mean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts