My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 332 all put back together and the PTO will not come on. I used to get a loud click when it came on but not now. I tested the coil windings and they seem good and when I hooked it up to the battery the magnet clamped down pretty hard on the clutch plate. Is there any way to determine if it is strong enough to operate the PTO clutch? Also I noticed that a couple of the spring arms inside the clutch were cracked and would like to get a replacement pulley does anyone know a good place to look for one>

Thanks

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,947 Posts
The test in the manual for the electric PTO clutch on my 160 is pretty much exactly that... With the clutch out of the tractor, hook it to a battery and see if it attracts a screwdriver/wrench strongly....

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
the mad scientist
304 Posts
Run two gator clips from a good 12v battery and attach them to each terminal on the pto clutch, you should hear it click, which means it is engaging. You can also measure the resistance using a multimeter between the terminals on the pto clutch the ohms should read between 3 a 4. If not there is a short in the wiring. Also if there is not enough voltage from the battery they wont engage, along with a failed switch or bad ground are common issues. Did you adjust the gap at anytime?

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,947 Posts
Define strongly. :trink39:
Ya, I hear you.... :)

OTOH, I wasn't TOTALLY word for word I guess... Here it is, verbatim...

TEST ELECTRICAL COIL
NOTE: Battery must be fully charged and in good condition for a proper test.
1. Connect 12-volt battery to PTO electrical leads.
2. Put a tool across coil. Electromagnetic action will hold tool to coil if PTO coil is in good condition. If tool is not attracted to coil, replace coil.

And the tool they have across it in the picture is about a 6" cold chisel... Sounds like, they're talking binary, its either good or its not, no in-between. Which makes sense when you think of it as a big electromagnet... It either works as strongly as its going to (because all the windings are good) or it doesn't work at all (because there's a problem with the windings). The only way an electromagnet would get any weaker would be if the battery is not pushing enough juice through it (less power = less magnetism).

So I'd wonder, if you got magnetism when it was off the machine and you hooked it up, if there isn't a connection problem or a switch problem somewhere in the circuit.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
When You install it on the engine.. Before you do any thing grab the Wheel/pully to see if you can turn it, it should turn easy. new THE TRACTOR NOT RUNNING, Switch on Turn the PTO switch on the wheel/pully should not turn It will turn the engine. (remove the plug wires While doing the test) Set the clarence at .010 Then reset to factory specs;;

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ya, I hear you.... :)

OTOH, I wasn't TOTALLY word for word I guess... Here it is, verbatim...

TEST ELECTRICAL COIL
NOTE: Battery must be fully charged and in good condition for a proper test.
1. Connect 12-volt battery to PTO electrical leads.
2. Put a tool across coil. Electromagnetic action will hold tool to coil if PTO coil is in good condition. If tool is not attracted to coil, replace coil.

And the tool they have across it in the picture is about a 6" cold chisel... Sounds like, they're talking binary, its either good or its not, no in-between. Which makes sense when you think of it as a big electromagnet... It either works as strongly as its going to (because all the windings are good) or it doesn't work at all (because there's a problem with the windings). The only way an electromagnet would get any weaker would be if the battery is not pushing enough juice through it (less power = less magnetism).

So I'd wonder, if you got magnetism when it was off the machine and you hooked it up, if there isn't a connection problem or a switch problem somewhere in the circuit.
The windings can have a turn to turn short which would weaken the magnetic force. This is caused by air in the epoxy, vibration and time. The ohm check and magnetism check should cover you. Again, just make sure your battery is fully charged and if using jumper wires, use the same or larger gauge wire that is on your mower.

Sent from the MTF Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts