·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my tiller for the large frame 18093 tiller I used national seals:

Output tine shaft Inner seal p/n 471766
Output tine shaft outer seal p/n 200338
Input shaft seal p/n 471808

The tube frame tiller 18618-03 uses the same output inner and outer seals as does the large frame tiller, the input seal is a different p/n according to the parts diagram.

I removed the hub by undoing the three 1/2" bolts. Then I removed the large nut on the end of the output shaft. I used a 3 jaw puller to pull the hub off.

Then I removed the seal cover(rubber washer) then removed the outer seal with a screw driver, then the inner seal using the same method. I poked a hole in the side of the seal with a flat blade screw driver and then hammered on it until the seal moved a bit. Then I just tilted the screw driver to pry out the seals.

I sanded the shaft smooth of nics so as not to ruin the new seals. Then I greased the shaft and seals. Very gently tap the seals in place so as not to get the crooked or you will end up ruining the seals.

I put a picture of which way the seals face. Basically they both face the gear box (open end towards the gear box)

I did not have a new seal washer so I used the old one and put a hose clamp against it to keep it in place. It is there to help keep dirt out of the outer seal. I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Could you put a piece of heater hose onto the shaft and fit it to be tight up against the seal and then tighten a clamp on it, maybe.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
We need the manufactures name for all the seals. Good job and and thanks for walking us thru it.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We need the manufactures name for all the seals. Good job and and thanks for walking us thru it.
The seals are National. Is that what you are looking for? I listed the National p/n of each seal in my post.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could you put a piece of heater hose onto the shaft and fit it to be tight up against the seal and then tighten a clamp on it, maybe.
That's a better idea than what I did. On my other tiller I may try your suggestion if the washers are bad.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Thanks Ed, National they are then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts