My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
Neither Search here, nor Google, nor YouTube are helping me here...

I may be overthinking this (as usual), but I need to replace the fuel lines on a Briggs 8HP engine, 192432-0189-01 970515YD (installed on my Trac Vac 880). There are some pretty tight turns, and these lines run pretty close to the muffler, so I'd prefer NOT to add fittings (potential leak points).

I've seen a few posts saying that fuel hose can be bent by putting a piece of coat hanger inside, bending to desired shape, and heating (in boiling water or with a heat gun).

Unfortunately, I've also read that this cannot be done, because it takes a special molding manufacturing process to form the desired shapes, and that can't be changed after the hose is made.

Briggs seems to love to make their engines with funky hose designs, I've seen it on their tractor engines too.

Have any of you done this successfully? If so, how???

Mike

View attachment 2480562 View attachment 2480563 View attachment 2480564 View attachment 2480565
You can purchase convoluted fuel line in various lengths and diameters. It has a very short bend radius.

You heat the ends to press fit onto the male ends and then clamp in place with Otiker clamps.

Or extremely flexible aramid covered convoluted fuel hose is another option. It is more expensive however.

Clear line available at Lowes or Home Depot is also very flexible. Also available at Hobby Stores that sell gas/alcohol 1/4 scale radio control cars.

Registered
Years ago when I was a young ambitious engineer, we were fabricating an artificial kidney dialyzer using 1/4" 316 SS tubing. I got the bright idea of billing straight lengths of tubing with water, capping the ends and freezing for a short time. You can then bend the tubing without kinking with a tubing bender, then allow the ice in the tubing to melt. For your purposes, I would then also blow out with an air hose to make sure the tubing is completely dry before installing.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #25
I've been too busy at work this week, so no progress yet.

I'd just buy B&D replacement parts and be done with it. Not worth the headache. 馃檮
I agree, if I'd thought of that earlier in the week, I'd have the parts by now.

I'll give Steve's idea a shot, hoping to get rid of leaves this weekend, especially the piles on the front lawn.

If that doesn't work, I'll order the Briggs parts and go from there.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Mike

Reactions: Steve Urquell

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Thanks. I've already saved the pages to buy the Briggs parts if the Steve Urquell method doesn't work.

I'm a little more annoyed that the fuel pump is NLA, and the replacement is very different (the original, 692026, has the three lines coming out if the same side, the superceded part, 799056, has them at 90-degree angles), so I doubt the Briggs-molded hoses will fit the new pumps, given the geometry of the engine, fuel tank, carb and muffler...

Mike

20201114_160258~2.jpg
s-l400.jpg
20201114_153108.jpg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #28
Getting started...

Cleaned up the pump and old hoses with some Dawn (a few drops in a cup of water) and a nylon HF brush.

20201121_132205.jpg

Bought a cheap 8 QT stock pot (under $10), so I don't need to destroy a good one. Water is heating now.

Meanwhile, I cut the hose pieces, inserted some bare 8 gage solid copper wire, and bent to shape (plus a little extra on each bend).

Here's where I am so far. First part is the vacuum line (engine to pump), Briggs 497457.

31XlG+7hgFL._AC_SY400_.jpg
20201121_132241.jpg

Second is the outlet line (pump to carb), Briggs 497028. This is a very weird shape and hard to get a good pic to show the compound angles.

31II17njBJL._AC_SY400_.jpg
20201121_132229.jpg

For the inlet line (tank to pump), Briggs doesn't use a molded line ("fuel line cut to size" per the parts diagram), so I'm not worrying about that one.

Again, I'll be happy if the 90-degree bends come out decent and go from there...

Mike

Premium Member
Getting started...

Cleaned up the pump and old hoses with some Dawn (a few drops in a cup of water) and a nylon HF brush.

View attachment 2481358

Bought a cheap 8 QT stock pot (under $10), so I don't need to destroy a good one. Water is heating now.

Meanwhile, I cut the hose pieces, inserted some bare 8 gage solid copper wire, and bent to shape (plus a little extra on each bend).

Here's where I am so far. First part is the vacuum line (engine to pump), Briggs 497457.

View attachment 2481354 View attachment 2481355

Second is the outlet line (pump to carb), Briggs 497028. This is a very weird shape and hard to get a good pic to show the compound angles.

View attachment 2481356 View attachment 2481357

For the inlet line (tank to pump), Briggs doesn't use a molded line ("fuel line cut to size" per the parts diagram), so I'm not worrying about that one.

Again, I'll be happy if the 90-degree bends come out decent and go from there...

Mike
Alright Mike! Make sure you let them sit in the hot water until completely heated then cold water until completely cooled to set them. Hope it works for ya.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #30
Pretty successful!

I simmered the parts for about 10 minutes, then dunked them into an ice water bath for a couple of minutes. Looks like I've achieved enough prebend for this to work!

THANKS STEVE!!!!!

Mike

20201121_141027.jpg
20201121_141946.jpg
20201121_142508.jpg

Premium Member
Sweet! Now start selling that buck worth of hose for $10. Profit!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #32
Sweet! Now start selling that buck worth of hose for $10. Profit!
EXACTLY!!!

Probably should have heated the hoses longer, but didn't take the time to suspend them (so they couldn't touch the bottom of the pan), and didn't want to risk melting them. Probably the only thing I'd do differently next time.

BTW, since some of the bends were so close to the ends of the hoses, I cut the pieces about an inch longer than needed, then trimmed them before installing.

Mike

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #33
One more thought after installing these tonight...

I've replaced a lot of fuel lines over the years. I usually use a razor utility knife to cut it, and rarely get a clean, square cut. I recently bought this ratcheting tubing cutter, and all I can say is... BUY ONE!!!

Mike

20201121_204958.jpg

15,000 +posts!
The hose bends came out pretty good!..if you made the ends sharper than a 90 degree bend,then the hose would likely come out a perfect 90,since the rubber probably has some "memory" and will try to return to its original configuration..
I use a pair of brush cutters that look much like those snips to cut fuel hoses--makes a perfect square cut,much better than using one edged razor blades or a knife and safer too..

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks Robert. Hard to tell from the pics, but I did bend past 90 degrees. Maybe not enough bend, or maybe didn't heat enough?

Everything is together, no leaks, and she started on the first pull this morning!

Mike

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #36
Ran the unit for about 90 minutes, filled the cart 4 times. Ran flawlessly.

I did manage to overfill the tank in the dark. Other than that, not a drop dripped...

Mike

Premium Member
Ran the unit for about 90 minutes, filled the cart 4 times. Ran flawlessly.

I did manage to overfill the tank in the dark. Other than that, not a drop dripped...

Mike
I'm glad that worked for you Mike. I knew if you gave it a try you'd see how easy it was.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts