My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace a spring, I found one that has the right tension, and is correct on one end. On the other end I need to bend the coil 90 deg, and cut to make like the broken one. Possible?
The orginal spring is 8-1/2" long, The replacement is 12-1/2"

Attachments

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Yep its possible,,,some heat makes life allot easier,, but I think it can be done without,,just much tougher.
Without heat it might break,,,even with just one bend,,,if you try to bend it twice ,,,it's over. Test it on the extra you have to see if it will bend without breaking..

Like I said if you have heat,,no problem,,just heat it quickly where bend is needed and don't let the whole spring get hot.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of cutting at the blue line and bending the last loop, I may cut one extra loop for practice / checking.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I've done it lots of times on little springs. Usually making a replacement for one that gets lost or broke.

I always cut it where it needs to be, and then grab the top coil right across from where the loop ends and bend it up. That spring looks fairly hefty, so a needle nosed vice grip would probably work best.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I make springs from music wire.
Talk about a dangerous job...
That's what I was thinking. Alass I broke my vice on another project. I can cut this with the Air cut off tool, but bending the last coil, even to get in a vice. hmmmmm I can see tools flying. I'm still in the thinking and taking suggestions process.
Keep them comming!

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have added a bottle of propane for my "bernz-o-matic" torch, along with a new vice to my "Black Friday" shopping list.

The vice broke while bending the metal guard shute on the "blue money pit" deck. It needed replaced anyhow.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts
Kevin, what don't you collect??? I would love to take a virtual tour of your museum!!!
Ya, wouldn't THAT be a cool addition to this site that us computer-geeky tractor-heads could work on! The KBeitz MTF Virtual Museum! :)

Does the one end HAVE to have the left-hand hook on the OUTSIDE? Otherwise, Larry, that spring looks identical to THIS one,

which is available from Deere for 8 bux, I think

Oh.... nope, I tell a lie.... Looking at what I THINK The scale is, yours is a smaller spring.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,728 Posts
I cut a "too long" spring and clamp it in a vise,or shove a bolt or metal rod up inside it that fits pretty close,up to the coil I need to bend,then use a blunt cold chisel and hammer to bend the coil the way it needs to be facing...sometimes they will snap off,and heating it dull red helps a lot to prevent that,and it from breaking after its put into use...my Yard-Man likes to bust the PTO lever spring just about every time I mow with it,I've become pretty good at making a "used" spring fit it lately!..wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't so cheap,and bought a NEW spring,instead of re-using my old rusted junky ones I suppose!..

·
Registered
638 Posts
Old book from WWII era. Heat it red and cool in oil. Bend it, heat red and cool in water to re temper? My cousin used to weld auto cranks that way. Once the weld is built up, they cooled it in oil to take out the hardness and turned it on the lathe. When that was done they reheated and re tempered the journals.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I remember seeing a selection of springs at the auto parts store. {Dorman? on an orange colored display with black printing} One end was looped into a half circle, and the other end was straight and 'extra' long. I believe they were generic brake shoe return springs, which were cut to length, and then curved. Never did buy one, but they were available. I don't know if they needed heat tempering to make them bendable or hardened...
tom

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
I remember seeing a selection of springs at the auto parts store. {Dorman? on an orange colored display with black printing} One end was looped into a half circle, and the other end was straight and 'extra' long. I believe they were generic brake shoe return springs, which were cut to length, and then curved. Never did buy one, but they were available. I don't know if they needed heat tempering to make them bendable or hardened...
tom
I have that display board and the box that it sat on full of springs...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts