My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get some help on how to free the left back wheel on my new (to me) Massey-Harris 30-GS-4942 built in 1949.
It seems to me that the brake is the problem and I must get it from the side of the path in the field so the flat bed I contracted can load it.
I do not think the flat bed winch will be able to move it if the left wheel is stuck.
Anyone with a little drwawing of hoe the brake is built and how to access it?
Thanks, Wilson

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
The brakes are under a flat cover just in front of the rear axle that the brake pedal shaft goes through. Unbolt and pull ( meaning pry your guts out) off. ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brakes are under a flat cover just in front of the rear axle that the brake pedal shaft goes through. Unbolt and pull ( meaning pry your guts out) off. ;)
Thanks! So that means I have to take the wheel off and drain the final drive or is the brake "dry" area?

For sure a scan of the construction of the brake will help me to determine why is that pinion locked. Can I just pull the HUGE safety pin that goes through the left wheel shaft and the HUGE pinion (inside the oild bath in the final drive bos) so the wheel will be free to rotate? Or does the wheel shaft has splines on the HUGE pinion?
I only need to roll it 30 to 50 feet to get it onto the flatbed I contracted in the driveway. I am afraid the winch of the flat bed will not be able to pull the monster with the rear left wheel locked up.

Thanks a bunch....Wilson ( not very wise/experienced with tractor stuff but good on auto mechanics)

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Leave the wheel and axle alone, the brakes are AHEAD of the rear axle under the cover that the brake pedal shaft go through.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leave the wheel and axle alone, the brakes are AHEAD of the rear axle under the cover that the brake pedal shaft go through.
Parts Man: You are very right!!! I had to hammer and pull and say a lot of bad words before I got one out. It has a one pice band (internal to the drum) and the whole thing was like welded there. Got one tractor ready to be towed, now working on the second and the same side wheel also locked by the brake. I worked 2 hours and barerly got the plate out 1/2"
This afternoon I will bang the heck out of it, or maybe better make a little puller with threaded rod and a nut behind the plate. But that means cutting all the rusty bolts holding the floor plate to gain access to the whole flat plate.
Anyhow, you helped me a lot because I had no clue as to how it worked.
I will post pictures tomorrow and ordering the manual today.
Thanks again, Wilson

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
:fing32: There is an adjuster like a car drum brake, but is likely seized. Glad to help, hope it all works out for you.

BTW, if the deck trucks cable can reach the tractor it will have no trouble pulling it on. (Sorry, should have noticed that part of the problem sooner!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts