My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How tall does your corn get?

I grew two varieties this year, Early Sunglow & Silver Queen. The one that I planted later, My Silver Queen, is taller than I realized that corn grew. I've never grown Silver Queen before and I never even got a chance to put any fertilizer on it either. It's almost ready to start picking some & it's got to be 8'-8 1/2' tall now! :eek:mg:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, c'mon.......this thread has been viewed 30 times & no one has responded about the height of their corn. I sure that some kinds grow taller than others. What is considered a normal height for the different varieties of corn?

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Silver queen can grow from 7- 10 ft tall, with average abut 8 ft so yours is about average height I would say. :thThumbsU

·
L120/G110 Hybridizer
1,174 Posts
Our "Silver Choice" grew over 7' this year and that was with a 5 week dry spell.

Paul

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
I grew two kinds, a bicolor called Brocade and a yellow called Applause and they both grew to about 7.5 feet...and both were delicious!:fing32:

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
are some of those corns non hybrids.seems pretty tall for sweet corn.I have some corn out back thats from 10 inches to three feet tall. what junk.next year I,m planting bodacious and silver king. maybe than I,ll get some corn to eat.

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Well...Mine only grew to at most 5 feet some was only barely 4 feet and my cobs were much shorter 5-7 inches BUT it was real good and oddly I seemed to have more stalks with 3 cobs than ever before...(peaches and cream).:thThumbsU

How tall does your corn get?

I grew two varieties this year, Early Sunglow & Silver Queen. The one that I planted later, My Silver Queen, is taller than I realized that corn grew. I've never grown Silver Queen before and I never even got a chance to put any fertilizer on it either. It's almost ready to start picking some & it's got to be 8'-8 1/2' tall now! :eek:mg:

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I usually grow Ambrosia, and it gets 6-7 ft tall. :trink39:

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
are some of those corns non hybrids.seems pretty tall for sweet corn.I have some corn out back thats from 10 inches to three feet tall. what junk.next year I,m planting bodacious and silver king. maybe than I,ll get some corn to eat.
This is where I buy my seeds, at least most of them:

http://www.harrisseeds.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts