My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was playing around with my little wheel horse yesterday, and suddenly i had no steering. as it turns out, the ball popped out of the socket on this steering link. now comes the question... how do i put it back in, and make it stay in? as it is it can be snapped on and off.

i thought perhaps installing it, and then whacking the rod with the socket hole with a hammer and anvil to close the socket down again. My other thought was drilling a hole through the socket, and replacing the ball with a bolt, but that would be a sloppy fit and might bind at certain angles.

any ideas? thanks!

tmm

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
The easiest, and best, fix I know of is to replace the ball and socket.

You can find these at a number of suppliers such as McMaster Carr, W W Grainger and the like. Cut the shaft off and weld the new assembly in place.

Mike

·
Registered
752 Posts
I can get them threw my local hardware store. Also if you have a parts store that sells prime line lawn mower parts they should be able to get them also.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
You can peen it with a sharp pointed punch or slit a washer open it up and slide it over the ball and reflaten the washer and then weld the washer to the socket.
Both works well...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, kbeitz, i like your idea, mainly because it requires no money and little waiting. i guess you meant to use the punch to smoosh the socket back over the ball? i think i will try that when i get some free time.

thanks
tmm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts