My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,366 Posts
I'd say any mower from the 50's is rare today, but yes that one being an automower makes it even more collectible. For the decals on that one I think if I were you I would just use some masking tape (thin as possible) place over the existing decal and carefully trace the outline using a dot at key points, then transfer the tape on to another piece of tape and use a straight edge connect the dots sorta speak. You will then have an accurate copy of the old stencil and once you have it painted you can place that layer of tape back on to the restored shroud and using a straight edge and exacto knife cut out the letters and spray the yellow, then peel the tape immediately and walla, you have a very good quality stencil job. I have done that technique many times on items with plain letters that are large like that and it works fairly good.

·
Banned
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say any mower from the 50's is rare today, but yes that one being an automower makes it even more collectible. For the decals on that one I think if I were I would just use some masking tape (thin as possible) place over the existing decal and carefully trace the outline using a dot at key points, then transfer the tape on to another piece of tape and use a straight edge connect the dots sorta speak. You will then have an accurate copy of the old stencil and once you have it painted you can place that layer of tape back on to the restored shroud and using a straight edge and exacto knife cut out the letters and spray the yellow, then peel the tape immediately and walla, you have a very good quality stencil job. I have done that technique many times on items with plain letters that are large like that and it works fairly good.
Wow !! I never thought of that. Thanks.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,366 Posts
For the curved lettering, which that does have alot curves, just use what ever you can find that has that same radius, I use 1/4 drive sockets of various sizes to trace around. Just a thought, have fun with the restore.

·
Banned
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's very nice, to bad the deck is all chipped up in the front.
Thanks!

If you can find a welder that has some pure magnesium welding rods he would probably be able to fix that deck for you.
I was thinking about using J-B stick and J-B weld ???

If you go to an art supply store, you can purchase tracing paper. It's thin enough to see through. Just tape it over the lettering so it doesn't move and then trace over it.
That is another good idea. Thanks

I tried that with the deck for my 3002 and it didn't work. He told me that maybe if there was a way to heat the deck to about 200 decrees first then maybe. Are you sure it not aluminum?
I am not sure how to tell. I have seen a lot of Lawn Boys with magnesium stamped into the deck. Maybe someone on this forum knows what years Lawn Boy used magnesium decks.

Wow... It's my twin....
Nice mower!

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,821 Posts
I was made in 1956 and Im pretty rare, so I would say that mower is VERY rare.. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.