My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I have my bear skin
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like your thoughts on the matter. My neighbors son wants to drive HIS 1954 Plymouth to school. It is his car,but my neighbor(and myself) have our concerns. He is a very good driver,but we are just nervous. We would like some input from you guys as to when to "draw the line" with the old cars.

Jd40

FWIW- he feeds my cows with the old Chevy Apache alot,so he knows about these older machines.:trink40:

·
10,839 Posts
The older the better.

How's your state on seat belt laws on older vehicles that did not come equipped with them, especially since it probably won't get collector plates?

PS Tell him that after one accident or ticket, he gets a pink Pinto.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If it's road worthy, I don't see a problem with the age. Are you concerned because of the car has monitary or sentimental value?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
if he worked for it, and labored on it i say let him drive it. if its a hand me down that he got as HIS i wouldnt allow it. if he has his time and money in it, chances are he'll take great care of it.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
If the car is road worthy, meets ALL safety requirements, I would make sure he has good seat belts and let him drive proud. I admire him for wanting to show off his show piece.:thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
If the car is road worthy, meets ALL safety requirements, I would make sure he has good seat belts and let him drive proud. I admire him for wanting to show off his show piece.:thThumbsU
Ditto. Make sure the seatbelts are up to specs, and also the steering, and brakes. Whats your concern?? The safty of it, or the value of the car? Did he build it up?? or just get it handed to him?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
For us guys here in NoVA, there are the concerns. Even here in sleepy Fredericksburg.

For one, you have to worry about vandelism. A classic is going to be a target.

Secondly, 4 wheel drum brakes are by far inferior to front wheel disks or all wheel disks. Shoulder belts were unheard of in the day, and on some early 1960s cars, lap belts were optional. There are of course no air bags. This car is likely manual steering.

Sure, we lived through high school in those old cars, but in less traffic.

The young man's level of maturity aside, the danger is the other drivers we contend with.

A nice little used Honda Civic would be much safer.

·
Administrator
12,700 Posts
Personally if the boy wants to drive a 54 Plymouth to school go ahead. Obviously as long as it's up to the task (seat belts, brakes, steering, etc. everything in working order). Is it a bone stock original car or is a hopped up Hot Rod? If it's got a 426 Hemi in it with a blower out of the hood I'd be more than a little concerned, but a stock driver . I don't think I'd fret over it. I'd just be jealous...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
How far is it from home to the school? Will he be going anywhere other than school?

My first car was a 63 Chevy Impala SS, 4 spd 4 wheel drum brakes on bias-ply tires. My dad took me out and made sure I knew how to drive an older car. Tought me things like how once you stop quickly and heat up the brake drums the car will not stop as quickly until the drums have time to cool off.

Does he know things like this?

·
Banned
2 Posts
How far is it from home to the school? Will he be going anywhere other than school?

My first car was a 63 Chevy Impala SS, 4 spd 4 wheel drum brakes on bias-ply tires. My dad took me out and made sure I knew how to drive an older car. Tought me things like how once you stop quickly and heat up the brake drums the car will not stop as quickly until the drums have time to cool off.

Does he know things like this?

I learned the same way good old dad showed me the ins and outs also :trink39:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Let him drive it..... its a statement of his individuality the reason they have air bags in newer cars is because they fold up like a tin can when a bug hits the window do not get him a Honda civic unless u like paying high insurance high premiumes for a teen driver parts and repairs will cost too when it does break down .. let him learn the basics on real iron he will be just as safe in a well kept car as if he's driven something newer

·
close enuff works for me
3,193 Posts
Ditto,, on installing seat belts , and a dual master cylinder and disc brakes would also be a good idea.,As far as an accident ...... when a little front wheel drive car hits that 2 ton plymouth , the plymouth is not going to get shoved backwards down the road.....

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
I would like your thoughts on the matter. We would like some input from you guys as to when to "draw the line" with the old cars.

Jd40

:
You and his old man sound like some nanny state government agency.:crybaby::crybaby: IMO, anyone who learned to drive and is competent in a 54 plymouth is probably a better driver than someone driving a ricer with all the modern creature comforts. The kid is probably a more cautious driver due to the fact he knows he can't run to the local dealer and get parts. I would guess he knows the limitations of drum brakes.
My first drivable car was a 41 chevy.:fing32:
Again, JMHO

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
For us guys here in NoVA, there are the concerns. Even here in sleepy Fredericksburg.

For one, you have to worry about vandelism. A classic is going to be a target.

Secondly, 4 wheel drum brakes are by far inferior to front wheel disks or all wheel disks. Shoulder belts were unheard of in the day, and on some early 1960s cars, lap belts were optional. There are of course no air bags. This car is likely manual steering.

Sure, we lived through high school in those old cars, but in less traffic.

The young man's level of maturity aside, the danger is the other drivers we contend with.

A nice little used Honda Civic would be much safer.
I hate to be the Old Curmudgeon on this but i agree here.

I grew up in Detroit so I know about vandalism and theft of your pride and joy so I think a good used newer car would be a better choice.

The issues with traffic are irrelevant if he's as mature as I'm understanding, but the other issues do raise concerns lack of seatbelts being the most important factor but even today there are not as many cars with 4 wheel disc brakes as you might think.

And he may want to look at the wear and tear of parts, fixing a car every weekend just so you can drive it to school during the week not to mention cost is not much fun I would think.

With that said if he chooses to do it I wish him the best of luck.

JMHO

Ron

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Long as he is responsible, I would let him drive it. at least once it a while. Heck the school buses around here don't have seat belts and even have kids standing, How safe is that ?

I would set some rules like, turn your cell phone off while driving, no car load of kids, have your own gas money, and easy on that big back seat....:fing20:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts