My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you guys panic, I'm not talking about the tractor itself. I'm referring specifically to gas that is sitting in tractor gas tanks.

My JD 180 has some fuel in it that is about 2 years old. Since I'm going to try to get the motor cranked this evening, I'd like to make sure the fuel isn't a contributing issue before I try. I'm thinking I need to drain /siphon it out and give it a fresh drink.

If I do, would it be OK to put the "old gas" into the gas tank of the car if there are 8 or 9 gallons of fresh fuel already in there to mix into? I just don't have another environmentally friendly manner of disposing of the old fuel.

Steve

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Two year old gas is too old when that's all that's in the tank. Mixing it with eight to ten gallons of fresh gas will dilute it to the point where your engine won't know the difference. That's how I would dispose of it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Any gas thats 2 month old is turning bad.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I always hear about "old" gas. Just this spring I fired up the old (late '60s vintage) Troybilt Horse 7hp roto-tiller and tilled up my garden plot. As always, open up the fuel valve, count to 10, close choke, bump up throttle until governor linkage opens fully, and pull the cord; she started in 2-3 pulls, same as every other year! Now get this, I haven't put any gas in it in at least a year. Yes, she started in 2-3 pulls on YEAR OLD gas. I typically start the first run in the spring burning last years gas (maybe it was even the previous year's gas).

Seems those old K series Kohlers don't mind it one bit!! (now my cousin's little 50cc quad is a different story! won't start unless the gas is less than a couple months old!!)

I guess I've gotten lucky in that my equipment doesn't mind stale fuel. Even the weed trimmer and chainsaw run fine on last fall's mix. (perhaps the synthetic oil has something to do with that?)

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Not only "drain" the fuel but "flush" the old fuel entirely from the system. AND check that gas tank for RUST which could cause a batch of words like "&%@#" later on down the road. Squirt some light oil in through the plug hole and crank the engine a few revolutions w/plug out. Saves a dry cylinder start after all this time.

I'd put that old gas right into a car's tank... but then I don't drive a car so I could care less.:D This one's on the guys posting above.:ROF

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not only "drain" the fuel but "flush" the old fuel entirely from the system. AND check that gas tank for RUST which could cause a batch of words like "&%@#" later on down the road.

The fuel tank is plastic on the 180, so rust shouldn't be an issue. Does anyone know if there's a drain plug on that tank?

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
If it is a white plastic tank just check inside with a flashlight for deposits before using it. If it is black plastic..well the deposits will match it perfectly so that won't help.

If it mostly smells like normal gas, I'd just drain it and maybe check the float bowl. If it smells like shellac and looks orange, I'd remove it and clean it out.

Don't get any on your skin...the nasties in gas get concentrated as old gas evaporates.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I burn all the 'old' gas in the old Craftsman 20 inch rotary pusher. Its real old (the mower is) and will burn most anything. I'm still using 2 - 3 year old pre-mixed gas/oil in the chain saws and weed wackers. Getting near the end of that, they're killing off mosquitos.
The antique truck is running on 2007, or is it 2006, fuel, when it was $1.75/gal. Don't go anyplace to burn it off.
Every spring, normal ritual for the push mowers is to drop the carb fuel bowl and clean them out and replace the fuel filters. Then just fill and run.
Haven't had the tractors long enough to have 'old' gas in them.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Before you guys panic, I'm not talking about the tractor itself. I'm referring specifically to gas that is sitting in tractor gas tanks.

Steve
FORGET THE TRACTOR! I was afraid you were talking about ME! :sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

Go ahead & dilute it & burn it in something. ~~ grnspot110

1 - 13 of 13 Posts