My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was plowing this morning and looked down and noticed that my fuel gauge was working for the first time in the 13 months I've owned the machine (its been stuck on full). An alternative explanation is it has always worked 5 degrees and below but I never noticed. A working fuel gauge is a wish list item for me at best but is there anything I can do to encourage it to stay fixed?

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't have the technical answer, but I stored a motorcycle for my brother for a couple years. Because it was mostly stored, I always left it with a full tank of fuel. When I would ride it periodically, I noticed the fuel gauge wouldn't respond. After my brother got the bike back and started riding it regularly, the fuel gauge started to respond again. He ultimately had to replace the fuel level sender, but I probably killed what was a failing part by keeping the fuel tank full for storage. That design was overly complicated though, so I don't know if the anecdote applies. From your description, I am guessing you keep the tank full after every use? (no judgment intended, I do the same thing and have never figured out why I still do that). If the x595 is a simple float design, it could just be sticking from always being in the full position? I am not sure how hard those are to get at, but maybe worth a look.

·
Super Moderator
26,849 Posts
I've seen gauges not work before and then hit a hard bump and they start working. Some I think may be something to do with an electrical connection and some may be that they are "stuck" and the bump moved them enough to allow them to work. The only thing I can think of would be to make sure there are no bare wires that are grounding or shorting.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stuck float/tank always or nearly full theory may be it. I dont fill the machine when I'm done but usually do before I start. Neither my mow nor my plow ever take me more than 45 minutes or so. I was down in the lower part of the property late this Fall with it jumping one of the bigger machines so that may have started the loosening process. Other than that, the machine has a pretty smooth life.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Most stuck floats (cork) are caused by a full tank being full for a long time and the moisture in the tank right at the point where the float sets on the sliding bar it will form some rust, and when you use the machine again the float will remain in that location until a hard bump or shake will dislodge the float.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Depends on what was sticking. Looks like you have some condensation in the gauge panel and so if it was the gauge mechanism that was stuck, I'd pull it out and clean it up. If it was the level sensor, I'd pull that out and clean it up.

If you're not sure which it is, then the next time it happens pull the sensor out, disco the wiring to it and move the float by hand while reading the resistance across it. If it changes smoothly, the problem is likely with the gauge itself so reconnect the sensor and move it by hand again to verify that the gauge still doesn't respond and is the cause of the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Speaking of fixing itself, back in the 80's a friend of mine had a Chrysler K car. The drivers side door filled up with water. You could here it sloshing around every time you turned. Eventually the problem corrected itself when the door rusted out and the water drained.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Things always fix themselves if you neglect them long enough. Gutters, ditches, and Volkswagen's are great examples.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Pray a lot!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Speaking of fixing itself, back in the 80's a friend of mine had a Chrysler K car. The drivers side door filled up with water. You could here it sloshing around every time you turned. Eventually the problem corrected itself when the door rusted out and the water drained.
Hahaha that's awesome!

·
Premium Member
8,010 Posts
I'd agree, pull the float/sensor assembly and inspect for corrosion, dirt, etc. Something was making it stick.

At first, I was ready to say that you made this story up, because no K car ran long enough to rot. Then I remembered that Chrysler used cheap steel and paint too...

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts