My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Johnny Bucket Jr. on order with the bucket doubler. Plan on moving 10 yards of mulch this spring. How many suitcase weights should I run with this setup? I can easily fit two but I have a 3 way hitch bracket that would be in the way of adding two more. I think I could modify the bracket (cut and weld) to allow me to run all four but didn't want to do that off the bat unless needed. I'm worried about taking the wait and see approach because once the mulch is on the ground I going to need to move it. I would rather cut and weld and buy the weights now if needed but also don't want to spend or do more work than needed. Just wanted to know what others found while running this setup. Will two be good enough?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,310 Posts
I think you will be fine with two weights moving mulch. Big loads of heavier material such as stone dust might require more.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
If you find that you do need more weight than the two suitcase weights provide, look into filling the rear tires with rimguard or adding wheel weights rather than cutting into the bracket.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a Johnny Bucket Jr. on order with the bucket doubler. Plan on moving 10 yards of mulch this spring. How many suitcase weights should I run with this setup? I can easily fit two but I have a 3 way hitch bracket that would be in the way of adding two more. I think I could modify the bracket (cut and weld) to allow me to run all four but didn't want to do that off the bat unless needed. I'm worried about taking the wait and see approach because once the mulch is on the ground I going to need to move it. I would rather cut and weld and buy the weights now if needed but also don't want to spend or do more work than needed. Just wanted to know what others found while running this setup. Will two be good enough?

Thanks!
I doubt you will have a problem with mulch. I have a JD tractor shovel on an X540 and while it is smaller than a Johnny Bucket Jr I don't even bother with weights and never had any problems.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
All you have to do to SAFELY test your current weight is to load the bucket and raise it about 6 inches off of the ground. Then ride slowly and hit your brakes. If the back end comes up then you need more weight. I doubt mulch will cause you to need more than you have. Also, drink a 6 pack of your favorite before using it and that will add more weight!

·
Registered
62 Posts

Thanks!
I've got a JB Jr on an X530....since the JB Jr is rated for 250lbs (the actuator's limit) I've never had to put weights on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts