My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much, what kind, and how mounted do you guys do the rear tractor weight thing? include some pics if you're so inclined!

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
If it's for the 140 then you can probably get away with 4 (???) of the 42 lb suitcase weights on the back (if you have a weight bracket). Your other weight options are wheel weights (that fit inside the wheel rims) or loading the tires with fluid.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The rear blade I have weighs in at 320lbs along with my quick hitch at 80 or so... I'm considering wheel weights just because I like the looks of them all the time on the other tractors, haven't decided forsure as I get along fine without them. Do they really help or just slow down responce time of the machine and add extra strain on the tranny???

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
I doubt that Mouse would even know that the weights were there....

·
Registered
464 Posts
How much, what kind, and how mounted do you guys do the rear tractor weight thing? include some pics if you're so inclined!
I use 6 suitcase weights. They are mounted on a "Heavy Hitch".

This is a picure of the weights.

Jerry

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:howdy:For what tractor and what use or is it more of a generic question and that info should that be part of the posted reply?:dunno:
i'm specifically asking because i plan to add 240 pounds or so on the back of my 140, and don't know if its too much, enough, or below average. for pushing snow with a 54" blade and chains.

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use 6 suitcase weights. They are mounted on a "Heavy Hitch".

This is a picure of the weights.

Jerry
this may be a "noob" question, but how much are each of those suitcase wieghts? are they night and day difference? do you also use chains?

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry, just read your sig jerry. suitcases are listed as 40# each.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Six suitcase weights and a hard cab that weighs around 300 lbs, no chains but four wheel drive.

If you look at the footprint the hdap's put in the snow you can see it doesn't spin.

I lived in the northern part of michigans lower pennisula for my first 40 years, and I have lived the last 30 years in North East Wisconsin, so lets say I was 14 years old before I really noticed the weather, so I have been in some bad weather off and on for 56 years and I can say that this x728 four wheel drive set up like we have is unstopable in any type of storm here, thats sleet, snow on top of sleet, high drifts or what ever, these x700's with four wheel drive are unbelieveable.

I ran a large truck with a wing plow and scraper blade in the blizzard of 78 in Michigan, and this x728 would open up any road we had, you would have had to work at it a little, but these little guys will move some snow and also very fast.

Rob

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice looking setup rob, i bet that four wheel drive makes an unbeleivable difference on a garden tractor, i know it does between my trucks lol

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
nice looking setup rob, i bet that four wheel drive makes an unbeleivable difference on a garden tractor, i know it does between my trucks lol
It just goes with the snowblower or tiller it doesn't matter, they just don't spin much.

I wasn't raised on a farm so the when I get in the cab of the x728 I feel like I'm driving one of these guys.:D

Rob

·
22,353 Posts
i'm specifically asking because i plan to add 240 pounds or so on the back of my 140, and don't know if its too much, enough, or below average. for pushing snow with a 54" blade and chains.
I'm wondering what the max recommended load for the rear axle on a 140 actually is. An operator at 200 lb, plus 240 on the rear is getting up there for a medium weight GT. Add the tractor weight carried by the rear axle and consider that very few medium GT axles are rated above 850 lb and many are rated at 750 lb.

Weight added to the rear counts double for axle loading. Weight added to the wheels counts zero for axle loading.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
I'm wondering what the max recommended load for the rear axle on a 140 actually is. An operator at 200 lb, plus 240 on the rear is getting up there for a medium weight GT. Add the tractor weight carried by the rear axle and consider that very few medium GT axles are rated above 850 lb and many are rated at 750 lb.

Weight added to the rear counts double for axle loading. Weight added to the wheels counts zero for axle loading.
:ditto: on that, we have to be careful and not overload the capacity of the machine.

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
On level ground you should be fine, on rough ground....Not so much. Either way your better off loading the tires/rims and or using wheel weights before hanging weight off the back.

Lets say your 200lbs. Adding 200lbs extra on the back would be similar to a 450lb man riding the tractor with no weight on it. Im pretty sure Deere figured there would be an occasional "Bigun" on one of their machines eventually and engineered them to deal with this possibility.

Throw in the possibility of "Hoss" running a tiller and your right at the 750-800lbs limit.

With wheel weights, loaded tires, chains and my 265lbs on the tractor Im putting about 580lbs on the rear tires, but only 265lbs on the axles.

Best off weighing your tires first, then add weight to the frame if necessary.

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

with my blade in the air, i can grab the back of my tractor and comfortably pick the back tires up to almost waist height. lol

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On level ground you should be fine, on rough ground....Not so much. Either way your better off loading the tires/rims and or using wheel weights before hanging weight off the back.

Lets say your 200lbs. Adding 200lbs extra on the back would be similar to a 450lb man riding the tractor with no weight on it. Im pretty sure Deere figured there would be an occasional "Bigun" on one of their machines eventually and engineered them to deal with this possibility.

Throw in the possibility of "Hoss" running a tiller and your right at the 750-800lbs limit.

With wheel weights, loaded tires, chains and my 265lbs on the tractor Im putting about 580lbs on the rear tires, but only 265lbs on the axles.

Best off weighing your tires first, then add weight to the frame if necessary.
i've got a line on some wheel weights, and i'll definitely put them on, but the extra 100 # or so isn't enough. like i said with my blade up i can pick the back of that tractor well off the ground.

·
22,353 Posts
It finally twigged on me.

If you're using 1/4" plate for the entire weight box, the steel alone is going to add about 50 lb. With the concrete added, the rear end will be overloaded.

200 - Operator
290 - Weight box
290 - Counter weight from the front of the tractor to balance the weight box
??? - Weight of tractor carried by the axle
-----
780 + ??? lb. = Total weight carried by the axle.

Do not hit any bumps!!!

The axle in a JD 400 will handle that load easily. The axle in a 140, not so much. It will be at risk!

This is why I consistantly recommend loading the tires with RimGuard and adding wheel weights as the first 2 steps of a ballasting program for LT's and GT's. NO AXLE LOADING!

Weight applied to the rear of the tractor should be added as necessary to fine tune the ballasting, NOT as the primary ballast.

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
idk, i weigh in at 220-240. having the equivalent of one of my buddies stand on the hitch on the back of my tractor doesn't seem like such a huge issue. i guess if i think the 243# block is too much i'll re-pour one 2/3's of the original height and go from there.

does anyone have an owners man., or anything from jd that states what kind of weight can be carried off the back of that tractor? i'm not really familiar with any rear attachments for it and associated weights.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts