My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I'm ready to order topsoil for my yard project... But, I don't know how much I should be getting. I hope that someone here might give some insight. My first plan was to do some soil/new lawn and try to save some of the old. My wife, on the other hand, would like to redo it all. So, I'm looking to re do my front yard and side yards.

Lets start with a basic layout of the areas I'll be working in. This shows the areas I'll be working with in the front. Most of my land is in the rear of the property.

So, basically about 9,500 sq feet.

Now, here are some pictures of the area.

View from front steps

View from street

Long side yard to street

Now, there is a dip in the front lawn that I wanted to grade a little... just make the dip not as "pronounced" .. more of a smooth decline. (I put a trash can in there for visual size comparison )

Finally.. a quick walk around video.

So, what are your thoughts.. what am I looking at for soil??

Wasper

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
It's amazing how quickly an 18 yard dump of topsoil disappears. Doing some quick math, 9,500 sq. ft. filled a foot deep is 9,500 cu. ft. or about 350 yards. Now I doubt you plan to lay it down a foot thick or even 6 inches for that matter, but 3 inches would probably be closer which would equate to a quarter that amount.

That's around 90 yards or 5 truckloads.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
You may want to get a soils engineer involved in this project. From the looks of that shallow ditch in the front it's the primary runoff for the road and your property. Depending on what is upstream to your place just adding fill to make a more gradual depression may have the effect of damming this up and creating a problem for those above you. There are a couple of other areas of interest as well that may give a problem. Hard to tell without shooting grades and seeing where the high and low points actually are.

The eye, and camera, can really play tricks when it come to running grades.

Mike

·
10,723 Posts
Length X Width = Square footage.
Square footage X Depth = Cubic feet
Cubic feet / 27 = Cubic yards.

That rocky area in front, I would just level it off and get rid of the bigger rocks. Then cover it with topsoil. The only drainage flat spots I see are the left side of the garage by the downspout, and that doesn't matter, its just a slab. One possible high spot along the driveway where water cannot shed off the side immediately, but it has enough fall to keep moving to the street. (worried about ice buildup in a freezing rain). Other than that corner, you have plenty of fall around the house. I wouldn't worry about covering the existing yard. I would top dress the bald areas after leveling and picking out the rocks. Seed it, cover with black, roll, water, and stand back.

Remember, grass will grow anywhere. If its not growing to your liking, it probably needs more water and more fertilizer.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

That shallow part of the front yard was just where the "screen" was when the developers put in the houses. It consisted of a few Oaks and a lot of Mountain Laurels. My wife (who will never be confused with a "tree hugger") wanted them gone. I tried to tell her that getting rid of the trees was a mistake as the house now bakes in the sun, but she didn't want to hear it. Now, after a hot summer, she has conceded that there needs to be trees there. So I'm looking to put the lawn in and plant two Autumn Blaze Maple trees in that area. The area doesn't have much to do with drainage.

Thanks for the tips on the soil. I will go with 90 yards and see where that leaves me.

Any other tips you can give would be appreciated. This is my first time doing anything like this.. so I'm pretty clueless. Any suggestions on seed type and advice on the installation is most welcome.

Thanks,
Wasper

·
Registered
538 Posts
Unless you've got money to burn i would find some sandy fill dirt to fill the low spot then put a layer of topsoil over it . Around here it's about $12.00 a yard for first grade topsoil.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would not think you need to bring in that much topsoil. Only where you need to change grade or to level. 10 yards should be more than enough. Put the savings into a sprinkler system. I'd recommend you start with a soil test of your existing topsoil. You need to know Ph and your mineral content to get those balanced before you can have a healthy lawn. Just adding someone else's labeled "topsoil" is not going to help your lawn prosper.

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
You need 116 yards of top soil. An average of 4 inches will do a fine job for yah and make the wife happy....Or you could go with less and live with it forever...Just jawing yah. A budget of $1500 for the top soil alone would be reasonable. You leveling it yourself? A good operator could do you yard in about 6 hours with a meduim size excavator with front blade...and maybe have a small dozer to finish it off....would hurt to have 2-3 friends that know what the working end of a shovel and rake is for to give you a hand. End of day you looking at most $2500, for total project.

HI,

I'm ready to order topsoil for my yard project... But, I don't know how much I should be getting. I hope that someone here might give some insight. My first plan was to do some soil/new lawn and try to save some of the old. My wife, on the other hand, would like to redo it all. So, I'm looking to re do my front yard and side yards.

Lets start with a basic layout of the areas I'll be working in. This shows the areas I'll be working with in the front. Most of my land is in the rear of the property.

So, basically about 9,500 sq feet.

Now, here are some pictures of the area.

View from front steps

·
Registered
441 Posts
where are the work in progress and after completion pics? Bring them on!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts