My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant stomach the asking prices on blowers in good shape and starting to look at ones run hard and put away wet. Not damaged just needing a paint job and have to assume every wear item needs to be replaced. Assuming the quick hitch is good, if I had to replace every single normal wear item on an early 2000s 47" blower, how much should I budget? And assuming I'm starting from scratch with the pto, what am I looking at to hook it up to the X595 if it was on a X585? Is thinking this is a 2 or 3 solid but not killing myself weekend project reasonable?

This is for me and I dont care about resale so just looking for reasonable operating condition as opposed to anything resembling restoration. Thanks in advance for your insight.

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
It would be far less expensive to buy a nice blower to begin with than piecing one together. By a long shot.

If you happened to find a fully functional but cosmetically lacking blower you might save a few bucks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fully functional but cosmetically lacking blower
That's my starting point and I am trying to figure out worst case if all the normal wear items need to be replaced before it is reasonably ready for service. I have seen some pretty cheap functional but ugly units go by. If worst case was say $500 in parts for normal wear items it brings me down to what I want to be into other than a few weekends of work.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
I have to agree with Nick, there is almost unlimited possible issues that without a thorough inspection and run with someone very familiar with the unit, you can get buried really quick. The gearboxes on these things alone will blow your $500 budget. Although mine is a x5XX series version, I replaced the Augers and Shaft and that was well over $600.

The reality is, the worse case scenario is you can easily go past $1,000 if the unit was abused and not maintained and it has a few issues to resolve to ensure some degree of reliability.

I say this with all due respect, but if you sense the need to ask this kind of question, and don't think you have the ability to thoroughly judge the total condition, you should probably lean away from those that are questionable. Gambling like this can only consistently work in your favor when you know these things inside and out.

I'd start by looking up the model on JD Parts, and just print out the schematic and price sheet for the major components. That will be an eye opener for sure.

My .02 fwiw.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Some attachments should be repaired and maintained as needed by the owner. This keeps the cost of ownership down and the resale value up. Blowers are an attachment that needs constant attention and blowers are one of the more expensive attachments to maintain. Unless you find a blower in really good shape for about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of a new one I would say buy new, get all the right parts and a warranty.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, I picked up a 42 inch 2 stage blower for my JD L130 for $100 plus a 5 hour round trip. Seller was up front and stated that one auger didn't rotate. Long story short, I found that Agri-Fab built it for JD. Ordered the gearbox/input/auger shafts, all the wearables, pulley, impeller and extra shear pins for around $400 direct from Agri-Fab. Had I ordered every thing from JD, I could have bought a new Berco. (the gearbox assembly{not serviceable} from JD was $560 and I paid $250. The impeller from JD was $156 and I paid $46.)

·
Super Moderator
28,893 Posts
If hydraulic cylinders and gearbox are OK you should be able to fix one up for the price range that you are looking at. I've been know to rescue one or two snowblowers in that type of condition (not the same model) and bring them back. If nothing else you have the pride of knowing you saved a piece of machinery from an early grave.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the input and love your story @wooserco...thats the plan I am trying to get on but limiting my search to fully functional just not pretty.

I have owned a 59 as well as the older style 47 for many years but havent had to put anything into them other than grease. So, I wasnt sure how this adventure might pencil out.

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
The gearbox is your biggest ticket item. Without frequent oil changes they have been known to fail (relatively small amount of oil in them, contaminants get into bearings). They can be rebuilt, similar to mower deck gearboxes, but you have to research them well because they are considered non serviceable. You can get bearings though. If you find one to look at, pay very close attention to the gearbox. Listen to it turn over very carefully, check the oil and pay attention to any "sparkles" in the oil.

U-joint crosses are or were available a few years ago, probably still are if you can track down the pn. I used to know it at one time but have since forgotten.

·
Super Moderator
13,248 Posts
As a general rule of thumb unless there is clear evidence of maintenance a cosmetically lacking blower will also be mechanically lacking. I think I have looked at one cosmetically chaleneged blower that passed my mechanical test, not surprisingly it sold for $1,500 at auction.

Just and example, I've purchased blowers for my 1445 front mount. Cosmetically I would rate both 7/10... Put $650 into one and $550 into the other (hoping the $550 did the trick, if not it will be an additional $770). Both blowers were used and maintained...

Yes, you can find cheap 47 blowers in good mechanical condition... The $500 one I found was in great shape mechanically and 8/10 cosmetically but the seller didn't have a clue what to do with it... They just happened to end up with the blower when they bought the mower.... Haha.

However, generally you are going to be money and time ahead by spending the $2000 to buy a nice used one. This is just a general rule of thumb.... As an example, you can buy nice 455's for $3000-3500... I paid $1500 for one is poor cosmetic condition... Shockingly the parts bill is sitting right at $1600...

Take some time and look through the parts breakdown of the 47 blower and QH. Look at all the prices for the parts and the parts you think might wear (Sprockets, shafts, chains, bearings, skid plates). Use that information when you inspect a used unit, offer accordingly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts