My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
tomboy
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been busy helping a friend out who's flower beds have been over run with thistles-weeds. He wants to dig out flower beds transport the dirt to fill in a removed swimming pool and refill flower beds with fresh topsoil with landscape fabric. So far I have spent 7.5 hrs just removing dirt with my GC2400. He said he could rent a bobcat for approx $300 for a weekend and get it done. I am approx 1/3 done everything and thinking how much I should be charging per hr for me and machine. Want to be fair but, don't want to do it for nothing either. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
As soon as the other guy says "I can get it for $$", I walk away.

He is trying to low ball you.

Let him put in the seat time, pay for the fuel, worry if it is done right, let the rental company worry about the oil change, and broken parts.

There is NO money to be made there!!

·
22,338 Posts
For my very closest friends, and relatives that I like, $25 an hour for a job like that. For anyone else $60/hour.

My kids get it done for free.

If he wants it done for $300, let him rent.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
I agree with CADplans. He may be able to rent a Bobcat for $300, but he will have to transport it himself. Does he have a heavy duty double axle trailer? If not, he'll have to rent one. And does he have an adequate tow vehicle? And he'll have to go pick up the trailer, the Bobcat, etc. There and back, coming and going. Time. And then he'll have to put in the seat time, pay for the fuel, possibly insurance as well. Pay for any damage to the machine or his own property if he messes up.

Around here, someone with your machine would charge $95/hour with an operator, for small hourly jobs, minimum 1.5 hours. Larger jobs would get a bid. Obviously prices vary by region.

For a friend you could cut him a deal. For a really good friend, a better deal. If he balks at your numbers call his bluff and let him do it himself for "$300" -- then he'll learn the true cost! That is a big job for a GC, there is no way you can do it as quickly as a Bobcat. So it is really up to him whether he wants to pay your rate or do it himself.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
For my very closest friends, and relatives that I like, $25 an hour for a job like that. For anyone else $60/hour.

My kids get it done for free.

If he wants it done for $300, let him rent.

If you are not licensed, bonded, insured, etc (i.e. "in business"), then I think Tudor's rates are right in the range you should use.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Around here the rental company will haul out the bobcat or tractor and drop it off at your driveway. When done call them up and they come back and pick it up using their truck and trailer. It is all part of the rental cost per hour charge. They will even show you how to use the implement, the bucket or backhoe at the rental office so you don't waste time trying to learn how to use it at your job site. Plus it avoids someone damaging it because they didn't know how to use it properly. Can't beat that for service.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Around here the rental company will haul out the bobcat or tractor and drop it off at your driveway. When done call them up and they come back and pick it up using their truck and trailer. It is all part of the rental cost per hour charge....
That's great that they will do that. Here you transport yourself, or pay for delivery. But maybe that's what you meant when you said "It is all part of the rental cost per hour charge" -- meaning you are paying them by the hour to pick it up and drop it off?

·
tomboy
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input so far. When he mentioned about renting the bobcat I told him that using one of those would rip up his lawn every time he turned and he agreed. Yes it is a big job for a GC, but like I told him, anything bigger would reck his lawn and anything smaller would not b worth while. Was thinking $35-$50 per hr is more than than a fair price. Thanks again

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Those sound like very fair prices. And your point about tearing up his lawn with the skidsteer is a good one.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
He can buy plywood sheets to save his lawn, HIM renting a Bobcat would be the best thing for YOU. Your tractor wont get tore up, and HE can be assured that HE has done an excellent job. Can you tell I am against working for friends? Give him a bill for the work you've done so far and watch his reaction, then you'll know.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I see this ending badly.:fing20:

If you are 1/3 done and have 7.5 hours in it so for the sake of figuring, say 20 hours total. $700-$1000 when he could have a Bobcat for $300 isn't going to fly.

Sounds like your machine is too small for the task. Second grass will grow back when tore up with the Bobcat when properly seeded.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's great that they will do that. Here you transport yourself, or pay for delivery. But maybe that's what you meant when you said "It is all part of the rental cost per hour charge" -- meaning you are paying them by the hour to pick it up and drop it off?
The time you are charged is from drop off to call for pickup, they are there asap so you can't use it for another hour while waiting. You might get 15 minutes but you should be cleaning it up with the hose. They charge for a dirty machine. The rental charge is a few bucks more an hour but for the quick job it's worth it when you don't have a trailer/truck and travel time.

·
Screwball, One Each
97 Posts
Unfortunately I would have to agree that the time to talk about compensation has passed. That is something that should have been mentioned before you agreed to do the job. If he says he can get it done for $300 with rental equipment I would just walk away.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
I agree it would have been better to agree on terms up front.

But this guy can't get it done for $300 with the Bobcat. The $300 is only the base rental cost for the machine (may or may not include delivery.) It does not include the machine operator. He will need to spend 10 hours or more of his own time, too. Unless he places zero value on his time*, he is going to be in it for a lot more than $300. Plus fuel costs -- upwards of $75 easily.

Right now he is getting a machine, fuel, and an operator -- all need to be factored in the price.

*If he places zero value on his own time, then he won't value yours either. Time to walk away.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
My 84 year old neighbor just put a $20,000 metal roof and carport on his house.

He asks me to plow his snow gratis each storm, I usually do.

I have asked him to sell me his tube frame Bolens with rototiller for 10 years, each time he said he would think about it.

He hasn't touched the Bolens in 15 years.

He just asked if I would come mow his 4 acres, as the grass got away from them while doing the carport and roof. (I got a big flail mower)

I said I will be down, when the Bolens is in my shed!! Time for me to cut my losses.

Oh, yea, there is NOBODY else for miles to plow snow. :snowing:

He better hope Al Gore doesn't let any snow get to his house!!

:sidelaugh

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hate to say, but as soon as he brought up that $300 figure, that is what he has in his mind it would cost. I would just walk away telling him that he should rent the bobcat and have fun in the seat.
Helping friends is tough. If you do not agree to a price up front, then they assume it is for free. When you mention that you want something in return, it changes everything.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just a thought like mentioned he said $300.
How about trading for something he has. He owe's u 7.5 hours of specialty work, maybe he's a plumber, painter, roofer, mechanic etc.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
My 84 year old neighbor just put a $20,000 metal roof and carport on his house.

He asks me to plow his snow gratis each storm, I usually do.

I have asked him to sell me his tube frame Bolens with rototiller for 10 years, each time he said he would think about it.

He hasn't touched the Bolens in 15 years.

He just asked if I would come mow his 4 acres, as the grass got away from them while doing the carport and roof. (I got a big flail mower)

I said I will be down, when the Bolens is in my shed!! Time for me to cut my losses.

Oh, yea, there is NOBODY else for miles to plow snow. :snowing:

He better hope Al Gore doesn't let any snow get to his house!!

:sidelaugh
So, is that Bolens in your shed yet?:sidelaugh

·
tomboy
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To set everybodys mind at ease, we did agree on a price. I told him their was no way he could have done all the work he was expecting in 1 weekend and he agreed. I told him that setting a price for everything would be to difficult to do in advance. we agreed on a price of $35 an hr and he seemed quite happy with that. so far 10.5hrs in and i expect approx another 10hrs to go. thanks for all your input

1 - 20 of 32 Posts