My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 3 acres to mow - I have a well used Yard Man zero turn with a 42" cut. It mowes pretty well, but takes a l o n g time (and I can't really drive it in a straight line...) I'm looking to go with a bigger mower with more horsepower and larger deck - I'm new to the site so if there is a thread that addresses this please let me know and I'll read up on it...if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. I did find an older Case 444 for sale just a few miles from my home (ebay # 220407344468) - would this be something worth fixing up? Thanks for the help!

Travis

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
Travis,

Welcome to the forum! :Welcome1: What is your budget? I'd recommend the largest deck possible. :)

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,651 Posts
Not familiar with the Case, but if you buy something used, make sure it's reliable enough to do the work you need while you fix it up. With your acreage, definitely get at least a 54" deck, it will really cut down (pun intended) on your mowing time.

Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the comments - not sure what the budget is as of yet - been looking at used JD's - they are pricey. I'll still use the zero turn - about 1 acre is dotted with trees, bushes, etc. (and a house...) the remainder is pretty well open. The search goes on...

Thanks!

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,733 Posts
I use to have a Case 446 with a 60 inch deck I consider it a very good tractor and mower unit.
My son has the Case now and I picked up and old Toro Groundsmaster with a 88 inch deck.

This really cuts the mowing time down.
The Toro deck has "batwings" on it so I can fold op one or both sides to mow in a smaller area and get thru doors and gates.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,420 Posts
That Case 444 is a VERY stout heavy duty garden tractor, but with only a 48" wide cutting width, won't save you a lot of time. If the terraine is reasonably flat, I'd be looking for a 60" deck on maybe a Deere 400 series, or one of the IH Cub Cadet Super garden tractors (don't know model numbers).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts