My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A gentleman asked me if I would be interested in buying a Gravely he has laying around, I did'nt take a lot of pics. He says it ran when he parked it but now he can't get it started. After a quick look I see it is missing a couple of pieces, the rod connecting the throttle to the carb (there is coat hanger being used) and the starter switch thing (the one you tap with your toe). It has a sickle bar, 30" deck, plow and one more attachment that I've seen but can't remember the name right now. Oh yea and a sulky.
I was wondering if someone might tell me what a fair price might be for the unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Id go 100-200 with suspicion of missing pieces. Looks like a L mod. Thers only so many of them left!

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
I guess things in my area are different.
Swiftamatic, elect start, 30" with 106 gb & a Gravely weight, other attachments..... Up to $500 & you'd have a great setup.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess things in my area are different.
Swiftamatic, elect start, 30" with 106 gb & a Gravely weight, other attachments..... Up to $500 & you'd have a great setup.
What is "106 gb"? Also the other attachment is either the rotary plow or cultivator (pg 25 of the L- owners manual)

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Around here, in non-running condition, that would bring $200 to $300.

106 is the model of the brush hog. Also, the front weight that Gravely made for the brush hog is on there. That by itself has been bringing $50 to $100 on ebay, from what I have seen.

If it were me, I would offer around $150 and go from there. If he doesn't like it, bump it up $50 and try again. It can't hurt. If he has a price in mind, then tell him to speak up and that it won't hurt your feelings.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all, I also forgot to ask you guys about the hood, as you can see the tractor is electric start but the hood is one of those that lays flat, the hood was in a seperate room so I did'nt even think about it at the time. Would that be the correct hood style?

·
22,321 Posts
I think it is. The early style electric start models used the same hood and that left the battery sitting exposed.

·
22,321 Posts
I did a quick Google search and came up with a couple of images for you, both are the same tractor, just different views.

This is an early model electric start.

Did this help?

·
22,321 Posts
You're welcome. We're all here to help.

If the price can be agreed on, go grab that machine.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Thanks, I had in mind $100-150, I just want to be fair.
There's a big difference between "what it's worth" and "what to offer," as we all know. Intrinsically, especially when you look at the cost of new jugs, electric start kits and planetaries from Gravely/Ariens, you could say they're worth $1K. But none of us would pay that.

I would agree with the guys recommending the $150-$200 range as an offer price. With the electric start, swiftamatic trans and governor unit (can't see it in pics, but it's probably there), you're solid with that price. Even if there's a major set-back later (you pull the head and its .30 over, dripping oil), you'd still be in great shape if you HAD to part it out.

Just remember the basics while you're checking it out - asking if the top end's been overhauled and looking for evidence of that. Turning the engine over manually, checking for compression. Operating the swiftamatic lever to make sure that assembly's working (sometimes after years in one range some lube is required to free it up). And locking out that for-rev lever when manually moving the tractor, checking for driveshaft/planetary operation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The tractor does not have a gov. and after mulling things over I think I'll offer to fix it up and split any profit if it sells afterwards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts