My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 1992 322 for sale a few hours from me. It looks in decent shape. Supposedly owned by the same person for the last 26 years. It has around 1300 hours on it, which seems possible. What is a fair price range for it? It has the 50" deck, but no other attachments.

How agile is one? It does have power steering and I have seen some videos of them. They certainly seem heavy duty while still small in size. No diff lock, but turning brakes can serve a similar (and also different and better) purpose.

They are asking $2600, which seems high to me.

·
Parts collector
2,985 Posts
Seems high to me for a gasser. If it was a 332 diesel that would be a fair price. They are as agile as any of the old 300 series tractors but the power steering is the bomb. Man when I got my 332 I didn't realize how much effort it took to crank the steering on my 300 and 314. I'd say $1800 max but I'm cheap. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agree. Maybe if it were a nice 332.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 322 is such a smooth running engine, but that price seems high with no attachments. Does it look like brand new? There are not many around to judge the price. I am right not putting a 330 diesel engine into my 322, could not get the engine running smoothly and a 330 came along with a front grapple. But I paid $250 for mine, not running and beat up. They guy I got mine from had a restored one, very nice and so smooth compared to the 318. I would guess $2K if nice. I do search for them from time to time just to check on the price.

Does it have the rear PTO, that adds a lot of value.

·
Super Moderator
26,830 Posts
Price is high due to age and hours. A real factor would be condition of the deck but at most $2,000 if that deck is in great shape and every thing operates correctly, work down from there if not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was thinking at $2000 it might be worth looking at. It does look like it was cared for well and not abused. But, it still is almost 30 years old. It looks like it is getting harder to find a front hitch/blade/snowblower. I like that it has hydraulics, but it looks like it doesn't have a deck height knob. So does is it supposed to ride on the deck anti-scalp wheels, or how do you set the cut height?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking at $2000 it might be worth looking at. It does look like it was cared for well and not abused. But, it still is almost 30 years old. It looks like it is getting harder to find a front hitch/blade/snowblower. I like that it has hydraulics, but it looks like it doesn't have a deck height knob. So does is it supposed to ride on the deck anti-scalp wheels, or how do you set the cut height?
Attachments from all the 300 series tractors from 88-92 will fit the 322. Search the 322 and go to Tractor Data and it will tell you the model #s. I have seen them on CL and Ebay so they can be found. I paid $500 for mine w/power angle.

·
Parts collector
2,985 Posts
Attachments from all the 300 series tractors from 88-92 will fit the 322. Search the 322 and go to Tractor Data and it will tell you the model #s. I have seen them on CL and Ebay so they can be found. I paid $500 for mine w/power angle.

Front attachments. The rear attachments from the 300's must be from the 318,322,330,332 as the frame is different. Thus the reason I still have my 300 and 314 so I can use my tiller and Bradley stuff. ;)

·
Parts collector
2,985 Posts
Time to find a 332. They last forever and are only a few $'s more than the 322. If you want gas, go with a 318 BUT they are well sought after and costly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is the link for anyone interested:

I am going to pass on it. Too old and it seems there really have been improvement's in at least the previous two decades.
Yes there may be improvements but are they better? My 322 doesn't look as good as this one but I wound't sell it for $2000. This is a tough, strong tractor that I don't think the new ones can compete with it. I have pushed 2' of snow and pull a trailer with half a cord of wood on it. Don't think the new ones can do that for the price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I didn't have an actual (small) CUT, I agree that the 322 (or even better the 332) could be great. What I want for this machine is a nimble/agile lawn mower first and foremost. I watched some videos of mowing with a 322. I am sure I could figure out a good way to use one, but I did not see agility and ease of use in using one. Setting deck height looked complicated and related to 3 point hitch height, so not at all independent.

I have been looking locally for months now and off and on for years. Garden tractors are fairly rare around here and the ones that stay around more than a few days are very overpriced. This one looks a little high on price, but not totally outrageous.

Here is a 455

It doesn't have enough pictures to judge its condition. They are asking $3200 (firm) and it has 2800 hours on it, which is a lot, despite what they say. It has a 62" deck which is way bigger than what I want, can use. It does have the power bagger, but I don't need/want/have space to store that. So, it is not right for my needs, but is probably excellent for someone else's needs/wants/desires.

I am leaning to a used X534 or new X584. Yes, I know for the price of a new X584, I can get a used X729 (or an X739 in the Midwest). I think the X700 series is great. But, every time I see one, I think, man that is big. Having driven the X739 and X584 back to back, there is a big difference in the way they feel and respond. A new X739 with front blade and blower is probably around $20K. That is a lot of money. A used one would save several thousand dollars, but would still be a lot of money. I can probably get a used X534 for $4-5K in this area. The blower and blade will be extra. Still a lot of money, but if I decide it is not right for me after using it awhile, I can probably recover most of my cost. With a new one, I would be out thousands, or just live with it.

If my needs were different, I would be all over the X700 series (or the older equivalents to save money). The 322 looks like a great machine for its day, that still works well and is better in some ways than current models, but the current ones are better in some ways (foot control hydro, deck height, AWS, AWD, being the ones that matter to me). Everyone's needs are different, so get what you need and what makes you happy 🙂

·
Registered
572 Posts
I dunno, that 322 looks like its in pretty good shape -maybe the lack of salt in Olympia WA? Paint looks real good compared to mine, but then it is half the hours of the one I bought ($2500) but with blower, 46 deck, 3 pt, mc519, and disc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, it does look good in the pictures. Salt is not too common here, or at least it didn't used to be. It doesn't have any attachments and was probably only used for mowing and kept in a garage. This is why I looked it up to see what it was. I think it will be a great find for someone. The seller is likely aware the price is high, since it says OBO. If it was 30min away, I would probably go look at it. Since it is a couple of hours away, each way, it would be an all day effort. That is not worth it, unless I am very seriously interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Depending on condition of course, that 332 tractor is worth $2600. I paid $3600 for mine 10 years ago but it had only 380 hours, looked like new, and had a several attachments. It is a very versatile, capable machine. Only thing i don't like is the blade speed is a bit slow but cuts fine.

·
Super Moderator
26,830 Posts
Well post is gone now so likely already sold. I've had both 318 and 322 and the 322 is the one I would choose. Liquid cooled so going to be 3000 hours before needing engine work if it is maintained, the governor speed is lightning quick which means the rpms don't end up dropping on you when you work the engine. I loved the 318 but they will need work at about the 1500 hr mark. The real downside of the 322 is parts, since not too many were sold the parts for the gas engine are limited and expensive (since it shares everything else with the 332 other parts not so bad).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The posting was flagged for removal, which is odd. It suggests that is was possibly a scam or someone thought it was too good to be true. I thought the ad looked legitimate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts