My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was kinda always curious to know the limits of a lawn tractor. My 300 in particular...

Yesterday afternoon, the city workers were going door to door leaving fliers, and telling everyone they would be doing some sewer cleaning and to cover your toilet. LOL I was heading out of the house to leave, and I caught them, and they also said (after looking at a areal map) that they see I have a man hole on my property.

Yup, back in the North West corner of my lot.

I have a Grand Prix parked over it, cause I had to puck it back further than it was so my neighbor and I could get his backhoe back in there and remove some chain link fence. That I can move. Hooked a toe rope to it, and a few tugs (and throwing some dirt) I had it moved. That was the fun part, mini tractor pull in my back yard. LOL

The North side of my garage, I have a stock pile of old wood fence slats that I have been saving up, for when I fence in my .5 acre lot as I will buy new poles, and posts, but the slats would cost me dearly, so I am recycling them. LOL

Ya, that had to be moved as well, cause it was "blocking access".

So, loaded up all the wood slats onto a trailer I traded a used mower that was given to me for. Its an old motor home, that was trashed. My plans are to make a tilt deck out of it, and add a floor, and some sides to it, cause the other trailer I have is a dual axle car trailer, some times too big for some small jobs.

I was happy to see that the mower was able to pull it through the grass, and back it on in to the drive way for the mean time till they are done working back there. Then, I will park the trailer back there again, but now its loaded and mobile atleast.

It may not look like a lot...but trust me, thats a lot of weight worth of wood...and most of it, is very wet wood cause the north side of the garage gets wet easy enough...but does not get that much sun light.

So, whats the most you have pulled or moved with your lawn tractor before?

Me so far...a car, and a loaded trailer.

~F~

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
I pulled a fallen tree yesterday with the X729. I was impressed at how easy it was to move it. Now I want to pull a small church, LOL!

·
Tractor Junkie
547 Posts
I saw my neighbor pull a loaded 10 yard dump truck with his Case 444, and the thing never even grunted!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I tried to pull my 4400 lb boat, but the tongue weight made the front end want to pop up so I thought better of it.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,408 Posts
I moved my 77 GMC K2500 4x4 a few times with my MTD,the last time was the "last time" litterally,when I used the tractor to drag the truck under the gantery crane to dissasemble it before I scrapped it ,due to a blown tranny and extensive rust,and frame rot..it weighed 6250 lbs,pulling it was not that hard,though it did strain the hydrostat some,and I had to hook the chain under it and on the front of the tractor so I wouldn't just pop a wheelie and tip it over on top of me..once I got it rolling it actually pulled pretty easy..

STOPPING it coming down the slight incline in my driveway was a
butt puckering event though!..I had to use reverse,and though it did stop
it,it didn't like that !..I found out quick that 2" disc brake is barely adequate to stop only the tractor itself,not anything attached to it!..

Thats probably my heaviest item I have towed that rolls,but rolling loads are not too hard to pull..dragging dead weight it the real test..I have dragged trees about 10" in diameter 30' long fairly easy with many of my tractors..even my lowly MTD dragged many gravestone sized flat stones out of the woods and though I had to yank them several times to get them moving,once underway I was able to drag them fairly easy..having one of them ratchet strapped on the back if the tractor helped a lot in giving traction a boost..made it easy to do wheelies too though,had to hook the chain up front!..

I dont know how much a typical lawn tractor can pull,I'd guess about 7000 lbs rolling load and maybe 500 lbs dead dragging weight load..I was afraid I'd grenade the transaxle on mine overdoing it!..that thin aluminum case can take only so much,ya know?..the motor seemed plenty powerful,and the belt didn't slip much either to my surprise..the tractor's weight seemed to be the biggest factor,if it was too light,it didn't pull well at all..just spun the wheels instead.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
At the Illinois Tollway, they once moved an Oshkosh plowtruck with a Gravely L just for fun. Not far, but it moved it.'Course the Gravely had dual wheels.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Moved a 3800# 23ft. cuddy cabin with my Wheelhorse 856 (8hp Kohler). It did not like stopping once it got moving.:duh:

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
13 HP at work...:D

·
Registered
859 Posts
Pulled my 5,000lb Ramcharger out of my garden with my 1988 Murray 12/36. (was plowing with the truck and I ran out of gas). Had a friend stand on the back of the tractor for weight and amazingly I pulled it out of the foot deep ruts...lol

Ive towed an entire yard cart full of bricks with just rims on the trailer with my '05 L111 hydro. It didnt really like it, but it did it.

I can move my 17' Bowrider around with my '79 Dynamark 11/36. It doesnt even know its pulling anything in first gear. 2nd is like "hmmm somethings back there"...third is like "%$#@&^@%$" when you let the clutch out cause all that weight makes it want to wheely if you let the clutch out too fast. lol

My mtd yardmachine cant pull itself up a hill...tires are some weird turfsavers that suck on dirt but do ok in mud...

My 95 Poulan pulled my dead '64 cub cadet in gear with out any tires up a 20 degree hill that was wet. yes...weight was needed. a cinderblock on each footrest. Massively wide turfsavers on that poulan though. Ive also pulled massive logs with it that are almost the same size and length of it.

Once I get the cub cadet back together and running, im gonna make it so it can pull my truck sideways.

I was kinda always curious to know the limits of a lawn tractor.
~F~
My good man, you will be the first to know when I find that limit.

I've been in a river up to the carburetor and that poulan still runs strong. I drove it back up the river and back up the 45 degree and the other 30 degree ramps that I dug out so I could take my tractors down there instead of walking. Ive dragged about 15 pallets dead weight with that same mower.

A friends girlfriend once said about me... "to Jon, it doesnt matter if a riding mower isnt rated to do something. He will still do it and then he will continue trying to find something that it cant do."

btw...that poulan was a 14.5 b&s with a 6spd peerless. (koolaide man voice) ohhh yeeaahhh... lol

·
Addicted To Tractors
194 Posts
My sears SS16 can pulll down some tree's, have launched a boat with it, up the launch pad and everything. 16ft merc boat. not a tiny fishing boat either. The boat was with my John Deere 130.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Being a new tractor owner it never occurred to me until the wife and I were standing there wth gloves on ready to drag the tops of a couple of pine trees back into the neighbors yard from whence they came.

What was thinking

Only a couple hundred pounds each but tying them off and pulling them over there with my MTD was one **** of a lot easier

·
Mr. Haney
735 Posts
Pulled a '71 Mercury Cougar with 4 flat tires and a one ton steel plate across my driveway. The plate gave me some trouble because of all the surface area touching the ground.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Have not yet found the limit on my cc123. I hav 150 ponuds added to the front so I really haven't had it not pull anything I wanted to pull.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Hi GR8racingfool ,

I've pulled my 4x8 utility Trailer full of firewood out of my neighbors woods in
8" of snow , 1.) Trailer weighs 400 lbs. , 2.) Wood weighed around 600 lbs. ,
= Around 1000 lbs. in 8" of snow ... :fing32: I know it could have pulled
more ...

Later,x595

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^YA! Thats what I am talking about.

Wonder what a 1K lb car trailer plus a 3400lb car would pull like? (kidding)

~F~

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Nothing earth-shattering.....yet. I guess the heaviest load was this trailerload of firewood, 100 yards up this hill. Thing is, the 748 hardly knows the load is there, but I've also done it with a GT235; it grunted a bit, but did it.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
2000 lbs dead weight in a pull

1 - 20 of 57 Posts