My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Driving the tractor into my wife's garage stall to take off the mower deck and store it for the winter was not easy. The tractor had little traction and did not want to turn until the 133 pound rear weight and the forward mounted plow were attached. Once the added weight of these two items was installed, the machine had zero issues in the snow.
I had a similar problem with my Deere 318 a few weeks ago. I was aerating the lawn and had the aerator hanging off the back of the rear weight box, of course I removed the plow blade from the front. I went to turn and kept right on going!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Four 42# quick-tatch and that’s it. HDAPs, no chains, no ballast. Simple and works for my needs.

Attachments

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,303 Posts
10x JD 42# cast iron suitcase weights
8x JD 50# 12" 2 notch cast iron rear wheel weights
2x JD 8" cast iron front wheel weights
2x 8" non JD cast iron front wheel weights

Close to 1000# but that's not counting all the cast iron weight lifting round stack weights. I probably have close to another 300+# of those.

·
3,303 Posts
I forgot to mention for those who might be interested. There was 2x 75# starter weights listed on Ebay for $175.00 only problem is no shipping. Not sure if they are still there. They were earlier today.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I counted all the weights I have:

• One Sears SS 12 right rear wheel
  • One Sears SS 12 left rear wheel
  • One "me" about 195 pounds.
My weights are real easy to keep track of.:tango_face_grin:

·
Parts collector
2,874 Posts
Just my butt here.
:sidelaugh

Larry here's your tractor weight increasing program:
That's funny stuff right there! :tango_face_grin:

I have a pair of loaded bar treads on the 300, I have a pair of 40# weights I got for free from an old school buddy and made a mount for them, I have a pair of 25# wheel weights from an older JD not sure what they came off of, and I have a pile of lead that came off the back of "new" drywall for x-ray rooms. I'm not sure if I want to trade in the lead for cash or keep it yet. There's over 200#s there. :tango_face_grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
On my new to me X748 I made a bracket to hold these Massey Ferguson suitcase weights. I have 8 on there weighing 67.5 lbs each, also filled all the tires with washer fluid. Rears held 10.5 gallons each and fronts held 2.75 gallons each. So I have somewhere around 680lbs on the rear and 40lbs on the front. If steering is a issue I'll adjust as needed by removing weights from the rear until I get dialed in perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
929 Posts
10-42 lb. suitcase weights on 3ph=420 lbs.
Double stacked 72 lb. starter weights=280 lbs.
RimGuard filled HDAP tires 180 x 2=360 lbs.
So 1060 pounds before cab, chains, and my lard butt climbs in. The 400 is pretty well anchored.

Attachments

·
3,303 Posts
Jay I'm sure you get a ton of compliments on that 400 you built but I'll say it anyway. That is one beautiful machine all decked out.

Do you have a walk around video featuring all the enhancements you made to it?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't own any currently. My arse clocks in at 6'2" and 250 lbs which has proven to be enough for my light to moderate snow plowing activities.

They do make a weight rack for my little 1525 but I think my grass bagger rack could be easily modded to double as a weight rack.

If MTD would make some cool looking Cub Cadet branded weights I would own a few purely for the
novelty.

Instead we just get bland, generic black plastic blocks.
4450215.jpeg

Make them in Cub yellow with the logo on them and I'll buy a few. You JD guys get those super cool green ones with the Deere logo on them!

·
Administrator
13,709 Posts
Paint 'em!
100_0875.JPG 100_0877.JPG

·
Registered
821 Posts
This 400 has plenty. Not mine.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
I break things
365 Posts
I thought I was running a lot of weight until I read this post.

I just swapped out dry rot turfs for some Carlisle All Trails. Opted to not load these as I want an easier time putting on my chains and taking off the wheels.

On the rear...Outside of the wheel 50 lb Bolens cast weight, and on the inside of the wheel two 35 lb stack able cast weights. I have a large steel block bumper that I run on the front. There are times that I am running a hefty load up the neighbors hill and that added weight kept the front end down. I also have a large steel block that I can mount to the belly if I need a little more weight, but have not used it yet. So far what I have plus chains works awesome.

·
Super Moderator
15,338 Posts
I don't own any currently. My arse clocks in at 6'2" and 250 lbs which has proven to be enough for my light to moderate snow plowing activities.

They do make a weight rack for my little 1525 but I think my grass bagger rack could be easily modded to double as a weight rack.

If MTD would make some cool looking Cub Cadet branded weights I would own a few purely for the
novelty.

Instead we just get bland, generic black plastic blocks. View attachment 2440679

Make them in Cub yellow with the logo on them and I'll buy a few. You JD guys get those super cool green ones with the Deere logo on them!
MTD use to Have carbon copies of the Deere 42lb weight In Black Minus the Deere Symbol Wish they still made them That new weight is a Bit of a Pain to Handle and it is actually bigger than a Deere 42lb suitcase But supposed to weight the same. I don't Like them So Going with 4 of these https://heavyhitch.com/product/suitcase-weights/ In Black for the XT3 (y)

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
12 42 lb weights. 8 for the loader 4 floaters for the front for thee X590 and X595 when rear attachments are on.
IMG_1242.JPG

21 - 39 of 39 Posts