My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The search tool won't let me search for terms as short as "180", so I was wondering who else has one of these JD workhorses? Is it still your regular mowing machine, or are you keeping it around for the memories or as a spare?

I'm trying to get mine back in working order so my 10 yo daughter can help with our mowing and learn the concept of shifting gears. The hydro on the Husqvarna is spoiling her and I want her to understand what a clutch is for.

Plus, the finish that the 46" mower puts on our front yard has NEVER been duplicated by the Husqvarna. I don't know what the difference is, but that deck just cuts beautifully!

The best guess I have from the gang here is that the carb needs to be cleaned since it cranks and dies when I pour fuel or spray starter fluid into the breather. I'm going to go ahead and drain the tank and replace the fuel lines since I bought new line anyway. I'm also going to replace the fuel filter.

Once I get it running, I've got to replace the seat. I recall someone selling seat kits to replace the foam, cover and black trim a while back on ebay. Don't know if that's still out there or not.

I need to get after it with some sandpaper and primer and apply a new coat of JD Green to it. The wheels could use some work as well. Once I get started, I'll post some before and after shots.

Steve

·
close enuff works for me
3,102 Posts
I have a 170 that I mow with, have had it 4 years , bought it for 100 dollars nonrunning, with broken steeering wheel, rusty fenders and ripped seat. Spent $150 on repairs and paint and been using it ever since. .....:thThumbsU ...the owner couldn't get it started and wanted it gone. He had ordered a new Deere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 175 that my father-in-law bought brand new. I have just had it since this December. I used it for plowing snow and it worked great. I replaced all the linkage that connects the deck to the tractor. It mows great.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got a 175 hydro w/38" a couple of months ago and have been working on it a little here and there since. It had sat outside for a couple of years and ruined the paint on the fenders and the deck. all of the electrical connections were rusty and the fuel shut off solenoid was gummed up. I've had to tube a couple of the tires as well. It runs pretty good and everything works now. I'm just waiting to have time to paint the deck & fenders. I bought a HVLP paint gun a couple of weeks ago and I'm just itchin to use. I also need a seat too but that's not as important and it seams to be about the most expensive thing I need for it. I think maybe I'll ask for it for a wedding gift since I'm getting married this fall.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also need a seat too but that's not as important and it seams to be about the most expensive thing I need for it.
I checked with the JD dealership today and was told the new seat was $70.

As I was leaving, I saw an LA series with a seat that had a lumbar adjustment. It too was a flip-up style. Does anyone know if the bolt patterns are the same between 1985 and 2009? :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have the 165 which is the same thing just with the 12.5 horse Kawasaki. Mine is in real good shape except for a scratched up hood which will be fixed real soon. The hydro is certainly a nice thing compared to the manual on the Craftsman. I still give myself whiplash every so often on the Craftsman. I dont know if the seat pattern is the same between one like ours and a new one or not. Have to check Home depot or Lowes if I am ever that way. My seat is perfect so I havent needed to look.

·
10,675 Posts
I have a 185 Hydro. House warming present from my FIL when we moved 2 years ago. 38" deck mows nice, and it has a good turning radius. According to my FIL, the engine has never been touched. Just oil changes and filters. Its always been used for snow blowing also, so no fuel going bad issues. Good luck with yours and :wwp:

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
We found my MIL a GX335, so she is giving me the 185 that my FIL bought brand new. It is in nice shape, just needs a new seat and she says its leaking a little gas somewhere. It has the 46" deck and a power flow bagger. I'm going to use it to bag clippings and leaves for garden mulch and it will help get in tighter spots compared to the 2320. Best of all...its free.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
I no longer have it, but I had a 185/46" for a number of years and it was a great little tractor. :)

·
deere160
27 Posts
I have a 160 i bought for 100 dollars because the transmission had a hole in the bottom of it. I used JB weld to repair a cracked transmission case that I had and have been cutting grass with it for almost a year. I work at a Deere dealership and I ran across one of those kawasaki engines that wouldn't start and I couldn't figure out why. It had good spark and the plug looked good so I got into the carb but that didn't help any. Finally i put a new plug in and it started right up. I ran across others the same and i would just replace the plug. I don't know why the plugs quit because they seemed fine but it seemed to happen after sitting all winter. Try a new plug.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 185/38", used it for many years with my landscape service (lawn service). The starter went bad and I have just let it sit outside, a shame really but the seat was already way gone and the body was really rusty. I do plan on restoring it this winter though.

The 185 is a great little tractor, that 38" deck and the 17.5 hp Kaw is a great combo!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 185, that I bought this spring because the replacement deck for my old 300 was more than the cost of this tractor. It has a fantastic cut, i'm just going thru the trials and tribulations of a new/used machine. I changed the oil in the hydro because I was having troubles with it. i hope I have solved that issue but in the process of replacing the oil i spilled some on the drive belt and now have to change that...unless someone can tell me that there is a solution to getting the oil off the old belt, because changing the belt doesn't look fun at all.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My 165 also does a fantastic job cutting with new blades. The 12.5 horse Kawasaki has more than enough power for anything I have tried with it. I havent had anything with my hydro though the tractor wasnt used much through the years. The oil is squeaky clean and it drives perfectly. This family of tractors from what I am told by this forum and my neighbors is better than most LAWN tractors you can get today. It is certainly better than the Craftsman I got though that keeps miles off the John Deere. So it all works out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts