My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us understand the virtues of having both a tractor with a snowblower and a tractor with a plow, but I think we can refine it even further. I am trying to rationalize a use for as much of my equipment as possible this winter:

1) 2-stage Berco Snowblower/Craftsman Pro would be the most used in most snow conditions

2) Single stage model 37A snowblower on JD 110H in reserve in case of primary failure, and for the possibility of a type of snow the Berco has difficulty with

3) #54 4-way blade on JD 140H3 with shoes set low for the gravel drive in slush

4) #43 blade on JD 214 with shoes raised up for scraping clear the pavement part of the drive.

5) Johnny Bucket Sr. on JD 317 for removing snow banks if necessary later in the season.

6) Walk behind Ariens 1128 for clearing paths around the house.

Can anyone add to the list?

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts
I wanna be YOUR neighbour, ggsteve! :sidelaugh:sidelaugh

So far, all I've got LTGal convinced of is:

JD 160 with blower for lotsa snow
JD 110 with blade (once Ernie is actually totally functional AND I find him a blade) for notalota snow....
Manual, 1 personpower push blade for those hard-to-reach areas...

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Theres are musts:
-front blade
-rear blade
-single stage blower (tractor and walk behind)
-dual stage blower (tractor and walk behind)
-loader
-power broom
-shovel
-blow torch

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts
Theres are musts:
-blow torch
Um, okay..... Is that for those days when the snowfall is SO light you just go out and melt them before they hit the ground? Or, the more dangerous version of a leaf blower?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Theres are musts:
-front blade
-rear blade
-single stage blower (tractor and walk behind)
-dual stage blower (tractor and walk behind)
-loader
-power broom
-shovel
-blow torch

:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
You're going to need a tractor set up to pull a sander, too.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a blower on the JD 200. A blade on the JD 212 .I have the deck on the JD317 . and a toro st 200 for the walks. and a shovel just in case...

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Um, okay..... Is that for those days when the snowfall is SO light you just go out and melt them before they hit the ground? Or, the more dangerous version of a leaf blower?
Yeah, or just melt it all, then squeegee the driveway

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Murray/Craftsman 12 hp LT with a Sears(Haban) 40" single stage blower. 16 hp Craftsman YT/16 with a Murray 48" snowblade. Simplicity 22" dual stage walkbehind. New 20" plastic snow shovel. If it gets to the point where I have to use that, I'll just stay inside.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the toro snowblower and my craftsman tractor with a plow and the wife shovels off the porch....but as far as how many set-ups..... however many it takes to get through a long hard winter.......... I like mowing the lawn more than moving snow.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
3 operating walk behind snowblowers will it for me this season.. Was going to put a blade on the Craftsmen, but the steering went out and I havn't had the urge to fab the blade on, or fix the steering

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Sears SS18 with a later model 48" Haban two stage blower. That's enough for me and the neighbor across the street (he gets a wicked drift across the end of the driveway about 3' deep weekly).
Absolute worst case scenario, I finish my sleeve hitch mounted back blade, and finish the sleeve hitch for either the Sears or Ford, and have at it. Unless it's a catastrophic failure, though, chances are it would be cheaper and faster to repair the Sears/blower setup.
I like excuses to have more toys though-

·
22,343 Posts
From 1984 to 2006, MF1655 with FEL and 5' back blade. Currently MF GC2310 with FEL and 5' back blade.

My backup is a 30" aluminum scraper that is 40 years old.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have a Craftsman rider with a 15hp Kohler, hydrostat, with a 42" snowthrower attachment. This is my primary one for my place and the elderly lady at the end of the block if her land lord doesn't get it done before I do mine. Her land lord is 93, so I go ahead and do it for nothing if he hasn't done it yet. I kinda like the extra seat time anyways. My back up is an older walk behind Pencraft dual stage 24" snowblower. It has a 6hp Tecumseh and usually starts on the first pull. If it gets down to 0 degree or lower, then it may take 2-3 pulls. I have an older 24" Homelite single stage with a 4hp Briggs that I'm going to leave at my sister's house. (18 miles from my place.) This way I don't need to load it up in my pick up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts