My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
480 Posts
Outdoor distributors. Axle pivot was $49.63, left axle was $20.94, right axle was $22.05.
These are genuine MTD replacement parts.

Sent from the MTF Free App
Thanks for telling me about

outdoor distributors, I ordered a pivot axle and saved about 18 buck, saved 7 bucks on the frt pivot brace, 7 bucks on the back pivot brace. and 4 bucks on a choke cable. you saved me 36 bucks with that tip. Thanks so much Walter. Maybe I can help you sometime in the future......Floydy...

·
Banned
480 Posts
View attachment 494177 I have 848 with 18 hp B&S twin II that is starting to show it age. I'm going to put in a 20 hp B&S twin II, it has full pressure oil with filter. I also have to put a new pivot axle and frt & back support brackets. Now is a good time so it will be done for the winter plowing I have to do if it snows. The 18hp motor still runs but is starting to lose power. I'll rebuild it over the winter and keep it for a spare. I have two more tractors that have the same style B&S motor. One is a 18hp and the other is a 14hp

Attachments

·
Banned
480 Posts
I pulled the B&S 18hp twin today and installed B&S 20hp twin with the quiet package. She runs nice. I still have to put the front pivot axle on, but I got the motor done.

Attachments

·
Banned
480 Posts
Got the front axle and brackets installed yesterday. I ran into one problem. The NAPA oil filter is longer then the B&S filter and when I hooked up the steering rod to the spindle top the rod hits the filter when I turn right. I'll have to get a B&S filter today and the rod should clear the filter.

Attachments

·
Banned
480 Posts
Here's one I'm picking up next month. Comes with a front bucket too! This is the only photo I have
You will have to take some more pictures, tractor and bucket. I would like to see the bucket. Are you going to keep the bucket or sell it? Is the tractor a 848 or what? What size motor?

·
Outlaw Tractor Collector
2,886 Posts
I'm not getting the MTD, got a 1977 Sears 16/6 Twin instead. It's a 848 I believe, 18 horse Briggs twin

·
Banned
480 Posts
I fixed the front mounting bracket on the Hechinger 848. Used the running board from an old tractor, cut off a piece and used zip screws. Is good enough for a plow tractor. Front end is good and strong now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's my LOWES '93 - MTD # 144Q848H052, Brigss # 422707, 18 hp trin II I/C. The carb has the idle mixture screw, but not the main jet mixture screw.

I have replaced the fuel filter, throttle control, fender mounted 1-7 drive detent plate, and chassis to deck drive belt (with an MTD one !). Also relubed the starter bearings, they were dry.

It has a three bag debris catcher and front wheel weights. PO bought it new, left it with the property last year. Note the compression pressure it develops, COLD. It came with zerks on the front axle spindle bearings.

I'm planning on checking the valve lash, since I have a bit of clicking that goes away totally once warmed up. Would have liked to have known it from new, but no basis. First experience with the flat twin. I think it has around 1000 hours.

Why did you rebuild yours, and what did you replace? Did you have to adjust the valve lash (grinding off the top of a new valve stem or lapping the existing valves into their seats a little ) ?

Charlie
my tractor looks exactly like that, have you found useful videos on repairs? I am trying to replace belts, and want to work smarter, not harder,drive belt is slipping

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 1994 montgomery wards version of this, 18hp twin briggs and hydrostatic drive, I used it to mow my two acres before I bought a bigger mower, so now its just a backup. Its going to need a new battery, which is a bit of an oddball and costs 2-3 times what a standard GT battery cost. I was thinking of modifying the battery box to fit a standard (U-1) battery, has anyone here attempted this? It looks like the width is the only issue, which could be easily remedied a cutting wheel in my grinder, probably have to widen the box too (I have a welder). Before I cut anything I'm going to check underneath to make sure there's no clearance issues with anything else.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Actually just changed drive belts on my 80 . Pretty straight forward. Have to take pulleys off to clear belt retainers. Take pictures. Took me a bit to figure out where the one pulley went because I took apart and then finished weeks later.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts