My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How long do the engines last in 445s and 425s?

I keep looking and 425 and 445 tractors. All of em' seem to have pretty high hours, around 900 hundred to 1300 hours. How long do these things last assuming the plastic gear cam has been replaced? It's the 1999 and later that have the metal gears right? Thanks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My best friends Dad has a 445 with 2500+ hours as of the early summer, rode hard and put away wet, its been a very very impressive machine.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
These were quality engines like mike said not uncommon to see them with well over 2000 hrs. mine was tired with 960 hrs. because it got dusted new rings bought it back and a new pair of rods while I was in there. Like anything it depends how it was cared for. BILL

·
Super Moderator
33,671 Posts
900 to 1300 hrs is not bad for them since they are water cooled engines. The will last significantly longer than air cooled since the cylinders stay within a smaller heat range.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These were quality engines like mike said not uncommon to see them with well over 2000 hrs. mine was tired with 960 hrs. because it got dusted new rings bought it back and a new pair of rods while I was in there. Like anything it depends how it was cared for. BILL
What do you mean dusted? Does the fuel injection make any difference in the 445?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Dusted means it sucked dirt for some reason (run w/o air filter, etc).

I've never seen much difference in 425 or 445 longevity. 445 runs better and uses less or the same amount of fuel to make more power than a 425. Better match for the 60" deck as well. The EFI is pretty trouble free.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have a 1993 425 and the tractor shows 1500 hours but the engine has a 2002 date on it so I think it was replaced by a previous owner. I am the third owner and the second owner said he got it from the 1st owner with the new motor. Who knows how many hours the engine really has but it runs like a top with no issues. I am guessing it has 800-900 hours on it. Like PA318 said, it's a water cooled engine so the longevity is much greater than an air cooled.

I think other parts of the tractor will wear out before that engine will.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got a 425 with over 2800 hours on the clock. Still a very smooth running engine. I may need some valve work, b/c when I first fire it up, it will burn a little oil from the combustion chamber where the oil got past the valves after sitting for any lenght of time. But not enough to worry about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts