My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought id get a kick out of some of your responces.
I recently built a fel for my cub cadet. I just finished up changing a pully on it and although it was late, I took it outside for a fast spin to see how fast it operated. Well it was 9:30 at night and no more than 5 minutes later my neighbor came out yelling at me to turn it off. OK I could understand if it was 12:30 or if I was out there every night at 9:30 driving around. This was the first time I thought I might actually annoy someone. Apparently it did.
Oh and let me add. I dont necesiarly live in a proper neighborhood. Im in the pocono mountians off a gravel road with .5 acre of property. Not like im stepping on someone elses shoes.
Actually I was quite offended. Anyway I parked it for the night until tomorrow. :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
33,583 Posts
Clearing storms I've run it as late as 11:00 PM and early enough to allow my wife who's a baker to get to work by 5:00 AM. Never had a neighbor say anything to me!

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
To be a good neighbor, I don't think I'd do it much past 8 pm around this time of the year with kids going to bed at a decent hour for school.

And if someone came trucking down my street at 9:30 pm on a tractor, I'd be none to happy myself.

EDIT : MUCH later with snow needing to be blown or plowed. I'd be out till and have been out till 11 pm or so

·
Registered
281 Posts
i have till around 2 AM,plowing snow,if anyone complained, well, they wouldnt have a clear driveway at dawn.. so........

·
Registered
989 Posts
10:30-11pm for snow. Maybe 10 for mowing.

·
Super Moderator
29,539 Posts
i have run mine as late as midnight looking for a lost dog. my neighborhood the smallest lot is 1.75 acres and all homes are at least 100 ft back from the road, not one person said a thing. i sometimes drive it around the back yard at just to drive it, but the closest neighbor is about 100 yards away from me. on one side and closer to 200 on the other.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Me my brother and my friend have ran them late at lot if times lol. We were just playing around too. One night I was dring my Farmall M arounad and they were driving the garden tractors at about 10:30 to 11 at night lol. ANother night we were riding a quad around on the snow in the at about 11:30 in the front yard lol.

·
David in NC
604 Posts
After weeks of having my Cub Cadet 882 diesel apart, I finally had the engine back in the frame and everything hooked up by 1am. Everything but the muffler! LOL I still had to fire it up. I knew I wouldnt have been able to sleep not knowing what would happen. I ran it for about 5 minutes or however long it took to fill the shop up with that sweet diesel exhaust.

Never had any complaints.

·
22,324 Posts
The city plow goes through the neighbourhood at 4 a.m. and I clear driveways for a couple of seniors and a household with handicapped kids who get loaded on the bus along with their wheelchairs at 8 a.m.

For a heavy snowfall, I'll start the engine at 1 a.m. and shut it down at 8 a.m.

No complaints have met my ears. The neighbours may not like the noise, but they like getting stuck a heck of a lot less. I clean up the city plow's windrow on several extra driveways as a good neighbour policy.

·
Hulk the Diesel
145 Posts
I have always considered about 10:00pm the cutoff time for anything outside that was sorta loud. It's a little different depending on the season as well. If it's cold enough for windows to be closed then you would still be good as long as you weren't firing up engines with modified exhausts. If you are outside city limits then I think you get even more leeway. Sounds like your neighbor is a little touchy.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Ditto with OEF.

No lights... so dark is about it.

When I did have lights, I had a nice muffler on there and would put around the streets with my trailer garbage pickin. No one has ever said anything. I try to be quiet in the neighborhood especially with the cars. I wont start em up after 10. And if Im coming home late Ill cut the motor at the top of the hill and coast the last 1/4 mile home.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
The only time I run any tractors at night is during the winter. During this time, I plow the snow at any time of day or night to keep up. Early mornings are better for clearing near the road. No body ever says anything. I'll hit the old neighbour lady's drive. I could see if you drove your tractor around untill 10pm, but I think your neghbour was a little over reacting. Make sure and run it again, 5 minuts or so. This way he gets the message.:fing32:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
To bring in a little extra $$ I have considered blowing some but not many driveways with my JD 524 or Toro 117 GM. I am in the city limits but I am guessing the noise ordinance starts at 10pm. I would guess running a snowblower at full throttle past time of noise ordinance could get you a ticket if a neighbor called the cops. A pickup with a plow blade would make a lot less noise than a small engine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The neighbors start complaining around here anytime after dark this time of year.
During the warmer months 10PM or so is the limit.
When it snows, most just do what needs to be done, but you still get a few that start to complain. The houses are close and there's a lot of elderly folks in the area that call it a night pretty early.
We had the police called once for cutting trees at 7AM on a Saturday morning, but by the time they showed up and found where we were it was well after 9:30AM.

I usually clear the neighbors drives when it snows, even then a few complain about noise from the tractor.

I use my tractor to park my boat and trailer in the back yard, we often get home late and there's no other way to get it off the road then to use the tractor. I've often had to run it well after midnight. I get more complaints about having all the yard lights on after midnight then I do noise.

I've often thought about trying to make the tractor quieter but haven't ever gotten around to it. I was thinking of just taking a car muffler and making up a custom exhaust that hangs down low to try and quiet it down a bit. A lot of the noise though is from the hydrostat pump though.

·
That Guy
1,160 Posts
I couldn't live in a city, it was hard enough to put up with the foolish neighbors when I was in the Army living on post. Some of your neighbors sound like pains in the ***, I'll take the country any day, if not the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I try not to run mine too late but some times I have no choice when it snows, I have to make sure the drive is clear for the next morning to get to work.
I've run well into the wee hours of the morning during a few big snows.
I don't get many complaints then but I've had issues with neighbors over the sound of my truck.

When a neighbor gets on my case about noise, I usually just make sure I let something run all day on that side of the house right up to 10PM, the 10hp chipper or one of my many chainsaws tend to be my annoyance of choice. I've got one of those two stroke rototillers that makes some pretty awful noise too. If they want noise to complain about, I'll give it to them. Lately there's been no issues, the two problem neighbors are gone now and the rest don't care or are never around. Now I get complaints about running things during the day because so many work nights and sleep days.

Years ago I got into it with one neighbor about the sound of my truck exhaust, the thing was bone stock as it left the factory 1979. The woman would complain and call the police every day I came home from work at 10 PM. She told the police that my truck had no mufflers. Even the police thought she was nuts. She kept telling them to make me put new mufflers on my truck. I did, I went out and had 3" pipes and dual chamber Flow Master mufflers installed. After that I made it a point of parking on that side of the driveway and leaving extra early for work, letting it warm up well before leaving each morning. She called the police 8 times in one day, they finally just quit showing up.

Years ago another neighbor complained about me driving my work truck home, a full size van with company lettering all over it. That one tried to take me to court over her 'blocked view'. She complained that the lettering was distracting and took away from the beauty of her view of my yard. It went to court and the look on the judge's face was priceless after he asked her what was so important in my yard that she had to be able to watch. She told the judge that her dead husband had planted the tree on my lawn for the previous owners and she liked to watch it grow. I offered to dig the tree up and plant it on her lawn but she told me the tree was ugly and she didn't want it on her lawn. The judge was speechless.
Needless to say the complaint was thrown out.
I made a point of making sure my next work truck was bigger with a diesel engine.

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
I've ran my tractor in every hour of the day and night...I work shift work and I plan on getting to work, so if I need to plow my driveway at 3 AM, that is what I do. No complaints.... I did have a neighbor once yell at me at 6:30 AM for using a bush saw...but he has long since gone.

Well I thought id get a kick out of some of your responces.
I recently built a fel for my cub cadet. I just finished up changing a pully on it and although it was late, I took it outside for a fast spin to see how fast it operated. Well it was 9:30 at night and no more than 5 minutes later my neighbor came out yelling at me to turn it off. OK I could understand if it was 12:30 or if I was out there every night at 9:30 driving around. This was the first time I thought I might actually annoy someone. Apparently it did.
Oh and let me add. I dont necesiarly live in a proper neighborhood. Im in the pocono mountians off a gravel road with .5 acre of property. Not like im stepping on someone elses shoes.
Actually I was quite offended. Anyway I parked it for the night until tomorrow. :fing32:

·
22,324 Posts
To bring in a little extra $$ I have considered blowing some but not many driveways with my JD 524 or Toro 117 GM. I am in the city limits but I am guessing the noise ordinance starts at 10pm. I would guess running a snowblower at full throttle past time of noise ordinance could get you a ticket if a neighbor called the cops. A pickup with a plow blade would make a lot less noise than a small engine.
Snow removal equipment gets a by with the noise bylaws around here. The city runs its big Sicard blowers 24/7 once the banks build up, and contractors run loaders, graders, plow trucks, etc. all night cleaning parking lots and residential driveways.

This city has a great attitude towards dealing with snow. Keep the streets clear and worry about costs and noise afterwards. Safety first! It takes a big storm to slow this city down. Even 60" of snow over 3 days didn't stop it completely a few years back, although a few side streets were restricted and the malls were closed for a day or so. It took 3 weeks for the city to catch up, but they didn't have to call in the army like one city in the province did.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts