My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a place on the site where OPs can post the resolution of their issue, even if it wasn't resolved? I see some issues raised with great suggestions, but nothing about how it worked out for the OP.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Generally, the OP should reply in the thread they started with the solution and/or if the suggestions by other forum members helped them. But all too often, someone starts a thread and we never know what solution they found worked. I try to finish threads I've started that way.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,447 Posts
Usually the OP leaves it unfinished, I too come back with the fix/repair, where if it was done, if by a shop and what parts and cost. If only others would do the same. . . . . . . . .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, it would be great if people reported the eventual results. But, sadly, it seems many some people never do. Maybe they get it resolved and are too busy tractoring to come back.

The other thing I have seen is many older threads have links to photos on other sites that no longer display. They probably worked fine when posted, but years later the record is lost.

·
Administrator
16,817 Posts
The other thing I have seen is many older threads have links to photos on other sites that no longer display. They probably worked fine when posted, but years later the record is lost.
Agree, nothing more frustrating then finding a step-by-step How-to ... and all of the photos are no longer showing. A lot of that was also caused by the many free options for posting photo services that were once available. Then sites like PhotoBucket decided to charge for the privilege of using them. So then photos no longer showed up on 3rd party sites, like MTF. For a while nothing, then for a bit, photos posted prior to their charging once again appeared. But that is iffy at best. Many of the PB photos you now see are deliberately blurred by PB unless you pay up.
That is one of the reasons we urge folks to upload their photos to MTF from the get go. That way they are always on the MTF server / cloud.
MikeC

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess just keep encouraging OPs to make a final "here is what happened" post to complete the loop.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
Unfortunately many people come here and create an ID just to ask their question and once thye have an answer they never come back. The members who frequent the site usually do post updates whith their results if they've actually posted a problem, but unfortunately the majority of those of us who are frequent visitors are more likely to be the ones replying to the questions rather than the ones asking them.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One and done posters are missing out on a HUGE value by not returning. You can learn a LOT from other's experiences. Too bad for them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would guess it is a matter of time and interest. I first came here when I started seeing the limitations of the X300 for my situation. But, I didn't have time or interest for long. I came back once in awhile and followed the hundreds of posts on the Husqvarna R322T. I was really interested in it, but wasn't sure its deck was sturdy enough, or the transmissions. There were a ton of threads that got me so worried about the K46 that I bought a spare (that I have never used and probably never will). I came back again a few months ago, because I was serious about getting a new machine. Since I now have one, I will probably stick around. I have learned that many here think the everyone should have an X700 series and everyone else should just go home (go big, or go home) 😉.

I'll start a new thread on my purchase (an X534) with pictures. I know I will have some questions.

·
2,860 Posts
It is frustrating when someone posts a question...gets a lot of help ...and even when one of the "helpers" reaches out and asks what happened...does not get a response... the response would be helpful in knowing what did finally resolve the problem...and a little satisfaction in knowing that you figured it out...and most importantly...what this Forum is all about...helping a guy ( or lady) out...I don't think we ever found out if that lady in New Zealand got that bolt out....but we did see some great suggestions and tips

·
Administrator
16,817 Posts
Unfortunately many people come here and create an ID just to ask their question and once they have an answer they never come back.
Until the next time! And I think that we have seen a major increase in that kind of member since the advent of members being able to do so from places like FB and probably other social media sites.
IMHO the members that created and populated this site yrs ago were the ones that lived the life and enjoyed working with and on tractors, whether L&G or farm and industrial. Now we're just becoming a blip on the information highway. Fortunately there are enough of us "old farts" (knowledge, not necessarily age) left to keep the highway humming.
Well I guess that's better than roadkill splat.
MikeC

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Some of us ask questions to nurture ideas. Just maybe some day those ideas will be come a reality. Always seem to have more ideas than money or time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts