WOW , great find

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Excellent! :fing32:

·
Which one's Pink?
413 Posts
WOW! Thanks for that link - nice to see some COLOR pics from that era!

Mowin' Man :trink39:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I looked at those pictures for a long time. We are fortunate compared to many of the people back then. Many of the kids didn't even have shoes......Thanks for the post!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
wow those are some awesome pics! great find and thanks for posting!

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two observations of mine; people were dirty and they ate slop. Yes I'm over generalizing. Now days kids are all so clean and they are careful how they play.

The person who sent this to me remarked that in many cases this also reminded them of the 50s. I would agree. The cars were different, but I remember my dad and grandpa wearing a fedora. No one had 'feed hats' when I was a kid.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,222 Posts
I almost skipped over this thread. I'm very glad I didn't. Those pics are all quite powerful. It left me wondering how they would look at us? For all we have, and seemingly never satisfied as a nation. I mean, let's face it, most people in prison today have a better standard of living. Thanks for posting them.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
That could be one of the reasons there are so many in prison. Not to worry, we're slowly heading back to that standard of living.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,785 Posts
Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

I also noted that they chose most of them for good composition and with an eye for the story-telling aspect.

At the bottom of the page there were some other links worth checking. All of those are very well done, also.

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
Great post! Reminds me of when I was a kid growing up in '50s even! Some things were still like that for me. My observations:

1. I didn't know people could see in color back then!:ROF

2. Man, it's cold in Montana! Man on horse is dressed with warm coat in August!

3. Notice how none of the people seem to be obese. My early days were the same - obesity was kind of rare; now, it seems to be one of (maybe the greatest) biggest health problems in America.

Thanks for this link!

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
Great pictures. Color brings them to life. That film or scanning really made for a sharp dropoff to black. Bet that was a low asa/speed film. You either have color or black/shadow.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Great pictures .

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
WOW - quite the blast from the past! Thanks for sharing that snapshot of how life used to be.

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
Fantastic Pictures. In going through them, I only saw one person with a smile on their face.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
We just came out of the The Great Depression, and went into WWII. Yeah, there weren't many people smiling. As for people being dirty and eating slop - they were dirty because they worked in factories and farms; not sitting in cubicles playing solitaire on the computer. Times were tough, but Americans made do. We didn't starve, but I never saw slop on the table. I remember having evaporated milk on bread with sugar sprinkled on top and that was considered dessert.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts