My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been cutting lately on my MTD mower at 3 notches from the Top(High) and with my Husqvarna, i first tried on 4 then 3 and seems 3 is about how high the MTD was cutting it. I was wondering rather 2 inches would be too low?

I was always cutting too low and had it on the MTD mower at the last slot it would go too and I realize now how much better the yard looks after changing how the cutting height. Just want to get some insight on cutting height. It seems like on 3 for instance, I cut Wednesday and now Monday I see weeds sticking up and the grass growing back . I know the rain will make it grow too and maybe we got a few days rain or at least one. I was away from friday to sunday.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
i mow on the top setting of my sears and my honda. its about 4" i think

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I mow 2 inches and doesnt burn the grass.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It mainly depends on how dry it is... In the spring I mow around 2.5" but now that its been very dry for several weeks I now mow at 4". My neighbors lawn is basically the same as mine except he mowed at around 2" midweek; now his lawn is mainly brown and mine is mainly green.

·
-
1,829 Posts
1/3rd of the grass blade should be removed. The pretty green stuff is in the upper part of the grass, plus leaving it longer helps hold in moisture.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TURF/ESTABLISH/onethird.html

Another site:
According to the Cornell University Cooperative Extension, cutting the lawn with a lawnmower set at a proper mowing height can save you from having to bag your grass clippings, even if you don't own a mulching mower. The rule of thumb suggested by the Cornell Extension is, "Mow when your grass is dry and 3 to 3-1/2 inches tall. Never cut it shorter then 2 to 2-1/2 inches or remove more than one third of the leaf surface at any one mowing."

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
I have a CASE 446 with a J46 deck and mow the lawn on the second to highest notch which is 3 inches.
I have found for me 3" or 3-1/2" seem to be a good rule of thumb for a nice looking lawn.
The picture is of newly seeded grass being mowed the first time after getting in the new lawn. (sorry Bad pic with my phone.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a CASE 446 with a J46 deck and mow the lawn on the second to highest notch which is 3 inches.
I have found for me 3" or 3-1/2" seem to be a good rule of thumb for a nice looking lawn.
The picture is of newly seeded grass being mowed the first time after getting in the new lawn. (sorry Bad pic with my phone.)
I like how it looks after 3 but it seems them weeds, the tall ones just come back really fast lol, in about 4 days you start seeing them pop up. I will try 2 1/2 next time and see how it does, yet I know that wont stop the tall weeds from popping up first. Guess I mite have to try some weed and feed in fall or sping.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
the number one thing that sticks out to me here, no one has mentioned grass type! Bermuda grass is prevalent here in the south and should be kept between 5/8" and 1 1/2" of course you should use the 1/3 leaf rule as to how often to mow.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I keep my lawn as long as possible. I have very sandy soil conditions at my place, and it dries out too quickly if I cut it short. Granted, it doesn't look quite as manicured as some of my neighbor's lawns, but I don't need to water every other day either. (Actually, right now I don't water at all, it's rain or nothing until I get a sprinkler system in.) I like the look & feel of a longer lawn anyway.

·
Registered
128 Posts
the number one thing that sticks out to me here, no one has mentioned grass type! Bermuda grass is prevalent here in the south and should be kept between 5/8" and 1 1/2" of course you should use the 1/3 leaf rule as to how often to mow.
Bermuda........3 1/2"

This lawn was completely renovated last year. The back 1+ acre was renovated this year. I intentionally cut both high as the back was not yet established & I didn't want to have to change the cutting height of the deck for the back & front.

Next year they will both be cut at 2".

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bermuda........3 1/2"

This lawn was completely renovated last year. The back 1+ acre was renovated this year. I intentionally cut both high as the back was not yet established & I didn't want to have to change the cutting height of the deck for the back & front.

Next year they will both be cut at 2".

but is that sod grass laid out and planted ? in sections or what?

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I mow 2 1/2 to 3 inchs high. The number on notch doesn't necessarily mean 3 inchs. you need to at least get a tape and measure to the blade to find the actual height that the deck is when you are in the 3rd notch and can adjust your height from there. My 2 1/2 inchs in in my 4th notch. Murray Wide Body. Doesn't mean yours will be. You should check it. I use a JD height gauge to get the actual measurement off the ground.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
128 Posts
darn, i bet you water the **** out of it too lol. Looks **** great
The only time it was watered was last year during the first 30 days during germination.

It is on a regular (once a month) fertilizing program though....

·
Registered
49 Posts
You guys that follow the 1/3 rule, how often do you cut grass? Down here in the South with St.Augustine/Centipede grass, if you only cut 1/3 off you'll be cutting grass every third day. And if you fertilize, every second day. I cut as much as I can off without scalping the ground. I don't have the kinda time to be mowing every third day...:rauch10:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts