My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new to me 955 has a step plate 25" above the ground. I know being 6'3" should over come this problem . It is still uncomfortable. There for I fashioned a step to assist my travel to the operators seat . I have no idea why the manufacturer didn't build this in . Another owners wife who normally cuts their landscape refuses to use the machine due to complications of the entry / exit the command center.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I built one for my dad's 3910, a number of years ago, using am 18" long piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe, some 3/8" steel aircraft cable and a couple of cable clamps. I Threaded the cable through th pipe, through the perforations on the foot pad and installed the clamps. Took a couple of tries to get it positioned correctly. It kept him able to use the tractor for another couple of years. Good thing about that rig is it would swing out of the way if he or I hit something like a big rut or stump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Location is temporary to find the optimum position. The sides were left long intentionally. Even if it is 6 to 8" it would be a help. For starters it is 10" down with 15 " ground clearance. Another thought is to have a tube of steel within the leg to have it quickly remove with a pin if one goes in the woods where obstacles could get snagged.
My cab tractor has a 7" step which works great. 25" is just too much air to clear with a single bound. Just as an old fuel injected Corvette of the 60s is not for everyone, ..... it's my cup of tea.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
well you can always try to ride a horse instead.... oh wait - it's even higher....

clearly it's a ground clearance thing. If you dont need the clearance, modify it to your liking.

·
21,506 Posts
If you have ground clearance issues with the step that close to the rear wheel, you are sure to have other issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The clearance is the same level as the loader mount which is roughly 16" If you need more clearance I suggest you buy a longer, higher , tractor with more hp. The 955 is still a sub compact garden tractor ( frame rails without a complete casting connected drive train ) that would not normally be used in situations of 20" gouges in the earth. One can find faults with the Mona Lisa if your a discriminating art buyer. If you don't like the idea of a step on a short wheel base sub compact why discredit it ???
I have 5 acres of lawn my machine will cut with a mower . The surface will rarely deviate 3 - 4 ". The 16" clearance will work great for a like application. I frequently mount and dismount this machine making the step a positive feature I and my legs enjoy.

Please don't feel obligated to modify your machine with any addition that would make it unsafe , impractical, or hazardous . I would believe several readers have found the post useful as a future addition or compromise to the current platform created by John Deere. My Marine Corps drill instructor said it best with this comment.

" While your at my Marine Corps base, ...... if you have any ideas how to make the corps a better place to live and work, ....... please keep them to yourself. You will still have them when you leave."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts