My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I've got a 149 wide frame, and I want to pick up a snow blower for it. It looks like the blowers were either q42a or q36a models, is that right?

How good were those blowers? Are they worth getting, or are they drastically inferior to a dual stage thrower? I have no experience with blowers, as I've never owned one, even a push model, but shovelling is getting old :)

If the dual stage is drastically better, what are the chances I can mount up a deere or yard machines dual stage to my cub? I know I'd have to make a frame, but a local boneyard has some of those blowers in great shape for cheap.. Are there any plans/prints online with what I'd need to fab to mount one of those up?

Thanks!

~Aaron

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
I use a QA36A every Year Does You 149 Have Hydraulic lift? if It's Manual lift You need to get a wide Frame Spring assist Because Both are Rather Heavy I don't Know How the Original Owner of My 106 Put up with it for 32 Years as a straight Manual Lift I'll say this My single stage QA36A Throws it Rather far and well. I Prefer single stages Myself But That’s all I have ever Used. I have electric Lift which I wish was a Little Faster That the Only Problem I Have with Using the QA36A on My 106

BTW I also used a single stage on a JD 240 for 12 Years In Far Upstate NY

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
If a 2 stage were available or easily adaptable, I'd say to go with that. However, growing up we had a single stage on our cubs. Pretty sure it was a QA36A. Anyway, only in the really wet, heavy snow would the chute plug up and have trouble with the snow. It worked well to great probably 80% of the time.

That said, my experience with the 2 stage has been nothing but positive. I'm replacing a 24" 2 stage Troy Bilt walk behind with brand new 45" 2 stage mounted to the 3225. They only make the 2 stage for it, but if there were a choice, I would have spent more for the 2 stage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, you two.

Now I'm torn... I guess it depends on how wasy it is to find a good condition 36 or 42.

My 149 does have hydro lift, which is nice.

Either of you guys know where to find prints or dimensions of the mounting hardware, if I try and do it the hard way? I have a welder and a grinder, how bad could it be? :)

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
I have a welder and a grinder, how bad could it be? :)
LOL! I'd say that depends on what kind of fabrication skills you or people you know have and what you start with. And how much time would you be willing to dedicate to making it work? It sure would be cool to covert a 2 stage to fit it, however, if I were in your position, I'd say just stay with a single stage.

Where are you at in PA? If you are in Erie where I used to live, a 2 stage might be worth the effort. Just my .02, which is worth about half that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blown - I have most of the month of december off, so it might make a good project, but I'd like to see and measure an OEM one before I try it.

I'm near state college.. we have to deal with a lot more slush/ice than you guys do, I think.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Ours was about identical to the single stage blower Sergeant has pictured. It worked fine on dry fluff snow but was slow throwing the occasional wet snow.

Of course that was back in the days of a 3 speed with creeper gear. The creeper gear would provide the high enough rpm's with forward motion to remove the heavy wet snow but it took a long time imo.

Some of our last days with that blower were spent using it to push the wet snow instead of blowing.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The IH QA36/42A snow implements are "Snow Throwers". Any thing two stage is a "Snow Blower".

Click on this link for some explanations, with some advantages and disadvantages of each type.... Snow Throwers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts