My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...how far are you willing to go (or have already gone) for a good deal on a tractor or implement?

·
Registered
171 Posts
6-7 hrs 1 way about 700kl -+
cheers

·
an effin canadian
549 Posts
meh. I'm lazy. I wouldn't really consider driving more than 2 hours way. unless it was gold plated and free.

·
I bleed M-F red
787 Posts
I drove from Maryland to Michigan to pick up a thrower and tiller for my MF-12. It wasn't my only reason for driving there, we stopped and visited with my wife's family, that lives in Michigan, for a few days too. Does that count?

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I'll go about 6 hours away if it is a really good deal. I have to consider the price of gasoline in that estimate, of course. I won't think twice about going two to three hours away though.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,401 Posts
Farthest I went so far was about 110 miles to southern NH to buy my 341 Ford years ago..recently?--only went about 75 miles one way a few times to grab some tractors cheap..
I guess I'm fortunate there seems to be quite a few tractors to choose from in an area about 100 miles all around me..

With MA & RI being fairly heavily populated and not that large in area ,its usually possible to find what you want within a one or two hour drive radius..

Its not like the western and southern states where you drive 100 miles and see no houses or cities,just farms and fields ..we also have more farms around here than most people think--despite a large number of them going under or sold off for development,there is still 6500+ farms here in MA,and quite a few are in my area still,so there is still quite a few tractors around..

Saw a "Shaw" tractor all restored on CL this morning in a town 10 miles away,for 2500 bucks..pretty rare to see one of those here..

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Just curious...how far are you willing to go (or have already gone) for a good deal on a tractor or implement?
W-e-e-e-l-l-l-l..........if I found what I wanted and the guy wouldn't give me the deal I wanted, there's always the "midnight Tractor supply"!!!:ROF :ROF

I wouldn't sell the wife and kids, but I might lend them out for a while.:hide:

I might sell the neighbor's car and tell him I saw it get stolen.

OOOOHHH,....You mean, What distance would I drive? I got it now.

never mind the above, forget I said anything.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
HA! :rof :rof :rof

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
I have driven 3 or more hours each way several times. For the right widget at the right price? I'd rent a truck if needed and go up to about 500 miles out. 500 miles is about my limit for driving in a day, sleep in the truck and drive back the next day..

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
farthest i have gone was 2 hours away to save 200.00 on a trailer, plus the trailer was a much better quality unit.

how far i would go depends on teh deal. at some point even free costs too much in terms of gas/time to get it. now if i was already going to be in the area and had room i would pretty much pickup from anywhere.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I drove 921 miles round trip to get my Case 444. The price was right (free!) :fing32: & I got to see my parents.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I drove 180 miles round trip for a free set of wheel weights.

Drove 1800 miles round trip to save $8000 on my camper, and stopped at the Grand Canyon on the way back.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I drove from Melbourne Fla to Torch lake Mich. to pick up a Low-boy and took it apart and put it in the bay of the bus and called my boss and said I'd be on vacation for a week. :)

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
6 hr drive (one way) for a cab from Ebay, made a two-day pleasure trip out of it! Another trip of 10 hr (round trip) for a snowblower, tiller & RER, one day trip on that one! ~~ grnspot110

·
Registered
55 Posts
Latest was 215 miles one way for my X520, decided about two weeks later to trade up to the X540 and get a 2305 so back I went again. Salesman was very nice to work with. I have purchased the last 6 vehicles out of town on account local were not willing to deal and or go get vehicle I pointed out to them. Eight hours one way for Jeep in 2003, Four hours one way for Ranger truck in 2005, Four hours one way for Volvo in 2005 (no local dealer) Four hours one way for Corolla in 2007, Visiting sister 18 hours away and picked up another Corolla in 2007, Ten hours one way for F350 in 2008. I'm willing to keep my $$ local unless they are not within reason.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Paid $480 to have a tractor shipped 1250 mi one way from a dealer in Nebraska to NY. Wasn't going to drive 2500 mi myself to get it..

Drove 14 hrs round trip when I picked up my Cyclone Rake in MI. Was actually a business trip (company paid gas) and I only had to make a slight excursion to get the CR.

Almost drove 10 hrs round trip to pick up a snowblower attachment that was available for $250. I ended up finding a trucking outfit that would ship it for $105 so ended up not having to drive.

Ok, so maybe none of these count, but they sorta count...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts